What to do with thick stems that won't rot down easily

• 9 Replies

al78

I have finally got round to rebuilding my pallet compost bin, adding a second container to dump green stuff whilst the other container contains material in the process of rotting down. All the pallets are securely screwed together to make the whole thing solid and robust, at least until the pallets start decaying. Having shifted rotted material and replaced with the big pile of stuff that I piled up over last year because I had inadequate bin space, I have found a load of long thick stems, mostly old brassicas like kale that had finished last year but the stems are so hard and thick, they haven't rotted at all. Ideally I would like to return them to the soil somehow rather than throw them into the green waste at the local tip. Is it possible to ultimately get them to rot down by burying them or chopping them into small pieces and putting the choppings into the compost bin (if feasible)?

Nobbie

Re: What to do with thick stems that won't rot down easily
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 12:29 »
I usually chop them into 1” bits with a machete, although the very bottom near the root is so woody I just throw it on the bonfire.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 12:32 »
Bash 'em with a lump hammer then cut into 'convenient lengths'.  You could try the other way round, but your thumb might suffer! :)

Cheers,  Tony
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 12:34 »
Prob wont help ya that much but I bought a shredder, well worth the money however I have one advatage, my plot is directly behind my house so no power issues!

Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

al78

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 13:17 »
Prob wont help ya that much but I bought a shredder, well worth the money however I have one advatage, my plot is directly behind my house so no power issues!

Thanks for the suggestion but no access to mains power on site. I'd have to buy a shredder and do the shredding at home. I'll have a go with smashing the stems with a mallet and cutting them up.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 14:27 »
I cut them up, roots and all with loppers.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 14:28 »
we have 3 bay pallet style bin at allotment [daleks at home ] anything still twiggy after 3rd bin goes back to 1st bin I think this helps with mix and getting 1st bin started  hope this helps
from bow like to grow

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 17:01 »
Only yesterday I chopped a load of brassica stems with the small axe I keep in the shed for just that purpose. I start with the root end as that takes more effort & my fingers are well out of the way at the leaf end :dry:, then work my way up. Never see them again by the time they’ve been through my 5 bin system. I even impressed a few of the old boys yesterday with my method.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 17:05 »
In addition to the good suggestions above, adding extra nitrogen in any form will help break down the woody stuff.  The carbon to nitrogen ratio has to be favorable for the tougher woody material to decompose.  I'll confess, don't measure that ratio myself, but I figure adding manure, fertilizer, etc. can only help the decomposition process.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

al78

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 23:43 »
In addition to the good suggestions above, adding extra nitrogen in any form will help break down the woody stuff.  The carbon to nitrogen ratio has to be favorable for the tougher woody material to decompose.  I'll confess, don't measure that ratio myself, but I figure adding manure, fertilizer, etc. can only help the decomposition process.

Urinating on the bin helps increase the nitrogen content. Easy to do that when you're a man and you're up there when it is very quiet.

xx
Can anyone recommend varieties of sprouts that don't fall over easily?

Started by jaydig on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 22:03
by JohnB47
xx
How to get thick/fat leeks?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 16, 2014, 22:16
by sarajane
xx
Being thick but when are gooseberries

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 16:53
by Beetroot queen
xx
Potatoes - sorry to be thick but....

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 07:19
by gobs

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 38 queries.