What size pots do you grow...

• 6 Replies

Fishplate42

• Expert novice.
What size pots do you grow...
« on: February 13, 2021, 13:47 »
...your greenhouse chilli plants in?

I start mine in 70mm square pots and progress through the pot sizes. Last year I ended up with the plants in some of our ancient old 8in Ward plastic pots. I am thinking we could have gone a bit bigger, maybe some 10l black pots that the horticultural suppliers sell. They are wider and not so tall as the traditional shape of pot.

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated?

Ralph

I need more space...

steven c

• Experienced Member
Re: What size pots do you grow...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 07:49 »
Ralph for years now we use builders buckets 1 for a chilli or cucumber and 1 and a half for toms
we cut the bottom out of a bucket then put that in another one increasing the overall size and
compost amount you can drill drainage in the side which can leave an amount of water retained in the bottom
and they stack after use
from bow like to grow

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 08:27 »
We work up through the sizes until they finally go out in Morrisons Flower buckets.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 09:49 »
We work up through the sizes until they finally go out in Morrisons Flower buckets.
Same here

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 11:45 »
 when we went on holiday with the caravan several years ago wen we  went shopping at Morrisons i seen these flower pots for sale needless to say i bought quite a few at the time well they where cheep and fitted the our needs ideal for both tomatoes and cucumbers and although we mite loose the odd one we still have plenty to use my kids could get over the caravan full of flower pots  :D

we obviously drill a drainage holes in the pots then put our pots in large drip trays in the greenhouse we fill our pots for both tomatoes and cucumbers with growbag compost [Levington Tomorite] and feed the plants with a locally produced organic feed and had very good cropping from both

haven't been to Morrisons for some time now do they still have those flower buckets?

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 16:53 »
when we went on holiday with the caravan several years ago wen we  went shopping at Morrisons i seen these flower pots for sale needless to say i bought quite a few at the time well they where cheep and fitted the our needs ideal for both tomatoes and cucumbers and although we mite loose the odd one we still have plenty to use my kids could get over the caravan full of flower pots  :D

we obviously drill a drainage holes in the pots then put our pots in large drip trays in the greenhouse we fill our pots for both tomatoes and cucumbers with growbag compost [Levington Tomorite] and feed the plants with a locally produced organic feed and had very good cropping from both

haven't been to Morrisons for some time now do they still have those flower buckets?

Yes and no near me: often they are white/translucent rather than black.

Ema

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 19:19 »
I’ve also used the Morrison’s flower buckets, the white ones do not last well the plastic is more brittle.
I find them a bit on the small size for Toms depending on variety but the ideal size for
Chillies. I’ve also grown peppers in them but struggled to get a good amount of water into the peat free soil without a tray.

Chillies look great in a big terracotta pot I got a few from Tesco last year

xx
Minimum size pots to grow tomato plants?

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 01:48
by plot36
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
What size pots??

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 21:02
by mumofstig
xx
what size pots

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 02, 2015, 19:06
by hiccup

Page created in 0.623 seconds with 39 queries.