How do you stop slugs and snails attack your seedlings in allotment please?

• 12 Replies

A YM

3rd year on an allotment. Last year was a disaster. Planted quinoa and they all looked like weeds and I didn't know how to harvest them. In the end, I ripped them off.

I also found out that the bugs in the allotment were especially HUNGRY. Whatever I put down, the following visit would reveal they were all gone. I don't really want to use slug pellets, and would like to know how you stop them feasting on your labour of love.

Also, what do you use to stop mosquitoes attacking you please? I had itches which lasted for 1 whole year and beyond.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
I do use slug pellets, albeit the ferrous sulphate ones which are organic and do not harm other wildlife such as birds (as opposed to the bright blue metaldehyde ones), and only sparingly.

I've given up putting fairly small seedings into my front garden, as the slugs hide underneath the large lavender hedge and come out at night - so look to see what might be hiding slugs.  Also don't plant out so small.

And cultivate an allotment which is friendly to foes of slugs, such as thrushes.

I have no answer to the mozzies question, except for bug spray and long sleeved clothes!

You don't say whereabouts you are, as sometimes that is useful in answering questions - if you feel like it, do pop your general location into your forum profile.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

steven c

• Experienced Member
as yorkie states we try to plant out when seedlings are more established another reason we start
a lot of different seeds in propagator and cold greenhouse i think they are less prone to slug
damage i have also tried wood shavings around plants slugs dont seem to like going over shavings
poss not as affective when wet??
from bow like to grow

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
I do use slug pellets, albeit the ferrous sulphate ones which are organic and do not harm other wildlife such as birds (as opposed to the bright blue metaldehyde ones), and only sparingly.
Just pointing out that some of the organic slug pellets are the same colour as the metaldehyde ones. I got accused of breaking 'wildlife friendly' principles until I produced the container from the shed  ::)
Keeping your plot as tidy as possible and grass paths well trimmed, helps - as does keeping compost heaps away from growing areas, if you can, as slugs & snails just love hiding in them ;)

rowlandwells

we always spray our crops with our own home made spray and use ferrous sulphate slug pellets [organic slug pellets]  I'm going to try nemaslug slug killer this year  we will be using even more slug pellets this year to control our slugs

i think most gardeners have a slug problem and they use what they think does best for them to rid them of slugs but without any sort of control the slugs will enjoy feeding of plants and we don't grow to feed slugs as for the mozzies don't know the answer to that one

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Avon’s Skin So Soft dry oil spray stops mozzies biting  - Google it if you're doubtful  :D

al78

I start seeds indoors and plant out when they have got to a good size, say three or four pairs of true leaves and the roots are starting to come out of the drainage holes in the pot. I water slug nematodes over the whole plot in late March/early April, not last year but the spring was arid in Sussex which itself knocked slug activity right down. I also wrap copper rings around the seedlings when planting out. With these two methods, I can get the majority of my crops through the most vulnerable period between planting out and maturity. It also helps to keep the weeds down, especially perennial weeds which provide cover for slugs. You will never completely eliminate attacks, but you can mitigate the severity of them. If you plant out seedlings that are a good size and are healthy, they can tolerate minor slug damage, they will grow new leaves that get eaten.

As for mosquitos, try Smidge (https://www.smidgeup.com/smidge/). Also provides some protection against ticks.

al78

Just pointing out that some of the organic slug pellets are the same colour as the metaldehyde ones. I got accused of breaking 'wildlife friendly' principles until I produced the container from the shed  ::)
Keeping your plot as tidy as possible and grass paths well trimmed, helps - as does keeping compost heaps away from growing areas, if you can, as slugs & snails just love hiding in them ;)

The thought had just occurred to me that if you keep a compost heap with the aim of spreading compost on your beds, you could be spreading slugs around as well.

A YM

Ah. haven't got notifications and after a busy day cleaning the hen coop and run, came back here to see if anything happened. I will take on board all the suggestions. I have actually used Avon and forgot to spray the most intimate places (who would have thought??), and fell foul of these suckers again. I have a severe allergy to these critters as my hands would be totally hot and swollen. I think I might need a allergy pen. Thank you for the suggestions.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
For many veg like lettuce etc that our local slugs n snails love to munch on I use a very simple eco-recyling solution.... Pop/ water bottles, the 3ltr+ size are the best.

Cut them in half, heat a skewer or similar and punch some holes in the top and when you transplant the seedlings cover, they allow the plant to grow to a size as when lifted they are too big for the pesky slugs, also keeps the pigeons away too.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Potterer

• Experienced Member
Hi AYM. I wonder if your bites in intimate places are not mosquitoes but harvest mites? I was getting bitten a lot under bikini lines ( top and bottom) , usually from August onwards. Very very itchy! Googling it seemed the mites were the answer. I use the Avon stuff but also have hot shower as soon as I get home, put all my clothes in the wash immediately.  That seems to prevent the bites but it’s a pain in a busy time in the allotment calendar!

I’ve been interested to find other people who have this issue. I use manure from a local farmer every year and wonder if I’m importing more of the blighters as they live in the soil.

rowlandwells

as i said in my previous reply we are going to try using  nematodes [nemaslug]  because from what your saying A178 this method works to control the slugs used from the end of March to early April good advise

al78

as i said in my previous reply we are going to try using  nematodes [nemaslug]  because from what your saying A178 this method works to control the slugs used from the end of March to early April good advise

It is not foolproof but it does have some effect. You want to water them in shoirtly before planting out, you get 4-6 weeks of the slug population being suppressed, which is enough time for seedlings and young plants to grow big enough to tolerate minor attacks. One thing to note is that watering them with a watering can can be frustrating. The nematodes are supplied in powder form, and the powder is not completely soluble, so when you try and apply the solution the rose on the watering can gets clogged quickly, and you have to keep sloshing the solution back and forth to clear it. This increases the time of application significantly. If you have access to mains water on your plot there is something* you can buy which connects to a hose and releases the powder into the water at the correct rate.

*https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/nematode-applicators-and-watering/80-hose-end-feeder-approved-for-nematodes

xx
Onion attack Slugs or Snails?

Started by skywalker on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2007, 11:30
by richyrich7
xx
Small snails eating my Swede leaves, how do you stop snails ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2011, 13:10
by JohnB47
xx
Slugs and Snails EVERYWHERE

Started by Cavolo Hero on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 17:48
by Cavolo Hero
xx
HHH no 15 Slugs and snails.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 08:38
by brucesgirl

Page created in 1.651 seconds with 45 queries.