Ground cover weed prevention

• 3 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« on: February 14, 2008, 16:56 »
At the end of my garden there is a bank of waste ground.
I am half clearing it and hope to put a couple of apple trees and soft fruit there.

At the moment it is covered with woody waste but in the summer it will give lots of weeds.  What is the best way to solve this ?  I thought that apart from where I plant a few raspberry canes I could just cover with newspapers.
And for the raspberries just weed a lot ?
Any ideas ?

I might move my tayberries and japanese wineberries from the front garden and put them in the back but would they be unhappy with that ?

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 17:08 »
1. Easiest way would be to put some weedkiller on it...but depends on how soon you want to put the fruit trees in. Check to see how long the killer stays active (6 to 8 weeks normally)

2. Or remove all the weeds by hand as they appear

3. or totally cover the ground with weed suppressant membrane, although this will take ages (months and months) to totally kill 99% of the weeds off.

4. or cover the ground with membrane as above and make hole in it and plant your fruits through the hole. Cover membrane with wood chippings

I would go for option 4 as no nasty herbicides :evil: and you can grow stuff straight away. :D

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 17:35 »
Quote from: "Ruth Cross"
1. Easiest way would be to put some weedkiller on it...but depends on how soon you want to put the fruit trees in. Check to see how long the killer stays active (6 to 8 weeks normally)

2. Or remove all the weeds by hand as they appear

3. or totally cover the ground with weed suppressant membrane, although this will take ages (months and months) to totally kill 99% of the weeds off.

4. or cover the ground with membrane as above and make hole in it and plant your fruits through the hole. Cover membrane with wood chippings

I would go for option 4 as no nasty herbicides :evil: and you can grow stuff straight away. :D
By membrane you mean old newspapers ?
I was going to cover it with soil/compost/manure why do you think I should use wood chippings ?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 18:40 »
I would use the thicker plastic membrane and suggestion 4, the membrane can be purchased at yur local garden centre.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Fruit bushes - weed prevention

Started by bisgedyn on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 20:23
by Trillium
xx
ground cover advice

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 09:16
by Kristen
xx
Any thoughts on Ground Cover??

Started by Christo on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 22:17
by Christo
xx
Where to buy Sheeting for Ground Cover

Started by chrisb1357 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 08:37
by Kristen

Page created in 1.361 seconds with 30 queries.