Disheartened

• 17 Replies

chillimummy

Re: Disheartened
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 17:34 »
It might be worth looking at reducing slug habitat & could you put up a rabbit proof fence around the plot? Expensive I know but if done once well it could save you a great load of grief. I’ve found going no dig has really saved me from hours of weeding & slug damage. Thank fully we don’t have a rabbit problem.
Thanks snows.
I did actually put chicken wire fencing just around the bed for squash after them all being eaten last year  ;)
Wondered if it either wasn't secure enough or slugs ate them?
A few other plots have put fencing around whole plot because of rabbits
At the moment my main problem is not going often enough.
Mix of increasing my hours at work pre retirement but in vicious circle of reluctance to go but then weeds worse so ultimately making more work for myself :(
Am hoping that my regular supply of rabbit manure will cover most of plot over the coming months and over winter and will have a fresh start next spring and decide then if I go back to half plot.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

MarkC

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 19:14 »
I suspect everyone goes through a phase of wondering if it's worth it.....

I've been lucky enough not to have major setbacks since I took a half plot on about 4 years ago, and I added the other half plot this year, which has been quite a lot of work, although some of that was 'one off' like doing a major clearance of it, and planting a fruit tree cordon.

I don't have rabbits as a problem though most definitely slugs are, particularly in the last wet month. It can be very tough to do a lot of work then get no reward. Sounds like maybe growing as many plants on before planting them out might help, as would netting to a degree, though you can't net the whole plot! My biggest challenge has been clubroot, and no matter what I've done it's been a problem to a varying degree every year for brassicas. Some areas are worse than others. Mare's tail is our other general challenge, and having got fairly well on top of it on my half plot, I'm now having to start again on the other half.....never ending.

The guy across the path from me has moved much of his plot to 'no dig' and seems to be doing very well with it, with virtually no mare's tail and very few slugs. He has put a lot of compost down for it, and is pretty meticulous about where he sources it.

Good luck and I hope things improve for you.

chillimummy

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2020, 20:09 »
Couple of weeks since last post but after visit to plot today, decided to go back to half plot.
Although my fruit bush area is a pain, I have a shed, plum tree and my patio area on that half.
The other which is my original plot,  although I put a lot of work into it, means tools in the car again, being near the road, lots of couch grass, no where to sit and no lovely plum tree  ;)
I'm glad I've decided.
Giving myself a month to dig up my onions and potatoes, clear other stuff and move raspberries.
Hoping to sort out fruit area next year and will go back to enjoying plot again.
Space at home too for growing extra things.

xx
Disheartened

Started by alimilly on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 22:08
by alimilly
xx
Disheartened....

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 08:14
by Swing Swang
xx
Getting disheartened

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 14:34
by DD.
xx
Disheartened with plot

Started by Hevski on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2022, 18:26
by Clactonite

Page created in 0.642 seconds with 40 queries.