Contaminated commercial compost

• 1 Replies

Ivor Backache

Contaminated commercial compost
« on: July 07, 2020, 14:08 »
With garden centres closed down, initially  I had to get my compost from supermarkets. Then hardware stores opened up and I got some from there. My first sowing of brassica have been grown in these composts and now planted out as strong plants. But the next batch have been infected with clubroot. I do have clubroot on the allotment and for that reason I grow my young plants in commercial compost for transplanting later. There is definitely no cross contamination. The suspected batch is from a nationally acclaimed supplier, and I am now conducting test plantings to see what happens.
1. With peat reduction a standard policy, other 'stuff' will be added  probably from council collections. I have noticed that quality of compost has deteriorated (sticks and plastic) . I would have thought that the compost making process would include something to eliminate club root. Has anybody else experienced clubroot in bought compost?
2. Do we have any consumer rights regarding quality and in particular contamination?
I am a member of 'Which' and I shall write to them but I wondered how big the problem really is. Thank you.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Contaminated commercial compost
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 14:23 »
I've never heard of club root from compost before tbh.

On Charles Dowding site members were reporting a lot of compost contaminated with weed-killer, last year.
I don't think anything much was done about it although it was reported to the suppliers :( The problem is as batches of garden waste are added to the mix, some bags may have contamination and some will be completely free of it.

I now only buy compost that says it is free of green waste, I believe that lowers the risk..

xx
Contaminated B and Q Peat Free Compost

Started by pauladams on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 11:50
by savbo
xx
Commercial Slugs?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2017, 20:42
by Salmo
xx
Carrot Fly.What do commercial growers use ?

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 24, 2008, 16:46
by Aunt Sally
xx
Chickens vs commercial lawn fertilizer

Started by TheeSlowpoke on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2017, 19:50
by TheeSlowpoke

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 30 queries.