Gourds and squash together?

• 1 Replies

Ethel

Gourds and squash together?
« on: July 05, 2020, 14:18 »
Hi, I just read in another place that gourds cross pollinating squash plants can cause bitter inedible fruit. I've never heard this before, but I have a random gourd growing among my Crown Prince and am now wondering if I should pull it out - certainly don't want to spoil them. Anyone know if this is true?
Ever tried? Ever failed? No Matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Gourds and squash together?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 15:55 »
Cross pollination is likely to happen, but unlikely to affect the fruits, although it would certainly affect the genetics of the seeds (which you don't eat.)

However, and this is something I've only even heard of today, squash cross pollination can result in very bitter tasting fruits, which can cause food poisoning and possibly have even longer term effects too.
Wild squashes contain a lot of the chemical causing the problem (cucurbitacin), which is why all the squashes we grow here have been bred to contain minimal levels of it.

Look up 'Toxic squash syndrome' for further information, but don't worry about it unduly - If it was a common problem in this country I think we'd have heard about it by now - advice seems to be to spit out any squash (or dish containing squash, like soup,) which tastes unusually bitter.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Gourds!! I need help

Started by liskeardlass on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 21:46
by gobs
xx
Drop Dead Gourds

Started by wotisname on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 23:23
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Lidl gourds - are they edible?

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 15:53
by JayG
clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 31 queries.