Wrong garlic variety

• 2 Replies

AnneB

Wrong garlic variety
« on: July 05, 2020, 10:59 »
Why is it so difficult for suppliers to send what you have ordered?
Three years in a row I have had problems with the garlic varieties I ordered, all from different suppliers.
Year 1 they just sent me something different as they had run out. (Suttons, but refunded)

Year 2 I was sent a hardneck variety (unknown) instead of a softneck variety - discovered when scapes appeared (somewhere on ebay, refunded).

Year 3 - the same as year 2, but a different supplier.  The garlic was labelled as Mersley Wight but has thrown up scapes.   I haven't made a mistake as I ordered 3 types, 1 hardneck (Caulk Wight) and 2 softneck (Early Purple Wight and Mersley Wight).  I have also found the piece of card I wrote out the planting plan on.  Two have come up with scapes, Caulk Wight and the one masquerading as Mersley Wight. 

The hardneck Rossa di Sulmona garlic ordered separately from Seeds of Italy is in another bed and still has a week or so to go but is looking good - as usual.

Softneck garlic can't throw up scapes can it?
Anyway I have written to this year's supplier asking for their observations.   It is so annoying as the mislabelled one has not done very well.  I chose Mersley Wight as it was supposedly suitable for my growing conditions and would keep well - important as one of my other choices, Early Purple Wight, is not a  good keeper.   

Does anyone else have these problems with garlic?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Wrong garlic variety
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 11:43 »
Softneck garlic can't throw up scapes can it?

Yes, like all alliums weather conditions can make them bolt...

Kleftiwallah

Re: Wrong garlic variety
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 12:11 »
Good morning AnneB,  I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing problems with garlic, I have always bought mine from here: thegarlicfarm.co.uk.
I have never had any problems with hard necks and soft necks, I prefer hard necks as they produce less cloves but larger and makes for easier peeling. 

To dry and store I've a long length of 1"X2" with holes drilled and I just lodge the heads in there.  All others we find a good film on't box and spend the time peeling cloves then zizz them up in a zizzer (of course) and add a little good olive oil, dividing it up in ice trays.   Soooo convenient. :)

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Help with a garlic variety

Started by Dragonfly on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 19, 2007, 22:55
by muntjac
xx
Garlic variety

Started by love-my-plot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 23:01
by love-my-plot
xx
Garlic variety recommendations

Started by kittiwake on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 26, 2009, 19:08
by barbarella
xx
Which garlic variety to plant! Help please!

Started by Embeth on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 07:50
by lacewing

Page created in 0.47 seconds with 38 queries.