Asparagus

• 6 Replies

Busby

Asparagus
« on: May 11, 2020, 18:52 »
Hi All
Hope I have this right, First time on site. Question. I have small asparagus plot that has been neglected and is overgrown. Knowing that it crops for some years, at the end of the season is it possible to dig the bed up replacing the asparagus after weeding ? Will the plants continue to produce?

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 19:36 »
I believe so. Asparagus is dormant over winter so you should be able to lift it and weed the bed thoroughly.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 20:27 »
Whilst asparagus is dormant over winter I would check how established the plants are perhaps checking how far down one of the plants roots go or the size of the spears. The bigger they are the older the plant. I haven’t heard of people moving well established plants in the past. I moved my asparagus plants when they were very young but I would be cautious now. Hopefully others have more experience of moving plants successfully.
Keep digging

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 21:42 »
Before digging up I’d try covering with a couple of layers of thick brown cardboard & a few inches of well rotted mulch at the end of the season when you’ve cleared the old fronds & see what next year brings
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 07:49 »
A mature individual asparagus plant will probably have a crown up to 3' across (mine are), with a very deep and quite fragile root system too.

Can't think of better advice than to point you towards this RHS article, which includes dealing with tricky weeds, and also creating new plants from the existing crowns if that seems like a better option.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

lettice

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 08:06 »
Have never tried moving Asparagus, but have successfully removed some and planted some that I grew from seed. Two or three years later in the ground and they produce wonderfully, but there is the year from seed to growth in a tray before planting. Found it to be about the same time to harvest as buying a new crown.
Been picking my older and newer ones for last few weeks.

I looked through many of my very old gardening books from the 40s/50s and 60s, they all say much the same thing. I will list their main points here from all the books I read, all generally agreeing;

Established plants from a few years old and more will have roots that are entwined together and with other nearby plants. The roots can be six foot down and 12 feet spread.
They all mention a poor success rate from lifting/moving that will most probably damage their root structure, unsettling the plants and slowing down their recovery, so a poor crop for a few years. Hence would be better to get new crowns.

The lifting/moving advice mentions;

Doing from the edge of the plot, slowly and patiently easing the soil and crown with a fork and your hands and taking as much soil with the crown as possible, so not breaking up the roots too much. Their entwining will mean some breakage will occur. they all generally recommended using an upturned bucket to transport each crown, so you can easily lay out on your new prepared mounds and not damage any further. Ensure the soil is warm, so have the new prepared area covered for a week or so before laying out the crowns.
It recommends a generous watering of the crown once layed out in its new home.
Notice they all recommend doing this in late winter and early Spring whilst they are in a dormant state and not yet producing spears. Some mentioned you will know when your spears normally appear. They mention not doing over the coldest winter months, the cold double hit will harm them during the move. Some mentioned it can be done late Autumn when the plants are dying back and turning.

Good luck :)

Busby

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 09:01 »
Hi Everyone
Thank you for your replies.
Taken on board.
Guess it's best to start a new bed.
Busby

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
Asparagus

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post December 13, 2008, 17:02
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 44 queries.