Asparagus

• 7 Replies

AnneB

Asparagus
« on: January 25, 2014, 10:29 »
I am thinking of having a go with asparagus.   Growing from crowns looks a good bet, but I am a bit put off as you only seem to be able to buy them in packs of 10 and I am not sure I have room for that many.  I have an area in front of a wall at the plot that gets the sun.  I think I could use the whole length of about 3 metres, but that would mean getting rid of something else.   Ideally I would use about half of it.

So, how difficult are they to cultivate from seed?

If I buy crowns, how close together can you plant them?

Which variety would anyone recommend and why.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 10:32 »
Some preliminary info, albeit not much on growing from seed, on the main website:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/asparagus.php
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 12:40 »
I tried both from crowns and from seed - and had a much higher success rate with the seeds. The weather conditions (as I recall) were a bit tough when the crowns went in so that might explain it. Anyhow, the major disadvantage of growing from seeds is the additional year that you'll have to wait before cropping. If you've got the patience...

Cheers,
Balders

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 16:52 »
I think I've previously read that it's harder to identify which sex the plants are from seed - so risk getting mixed cropping results.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 19:06 »
I have 20 crowns. I planted them  about 18 inches apart, which is possibly a little close together, but they seem to be doing fine so far. I keep them well fed and cover them with well rotted manure at the end of the growing season ready for the following year.
You don't really get that many spears from them and if you really like asparagus then 10 crowns might not be enough.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 19:37 »
AnneB here are some male only seed that I sowed last year so they are now going into their second year and have already got a good root system going.. I planted in modules and then after my spuds I planted in the plot to save some time. They are doing well now.

http://www.seedparade.co.uk/products/Asparagus_Jersey_Knight_F1_10_seeds-348-53.html
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 22:36 »
Plants tend to be a bit more difficult for some folk is due to their sensitivity to root flooding, so very good drainage is needed. The 'crown' part is most sensitive so if you prepare your planting trench, set a raised 'hill' of packed sand along the middle and set the crowns on that. This way water moves away from the crown and does little damage to the lower, protruding root fingers.

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 08:57 »
Thanks for the advice all.  I think I am going to go with crowns.   I have managed to find a couple of places selling five crowns at a reasonable price.  I think I will order from Blackmoor.  As for variety I like the look of Guelph Millennium , which comes from Canada originally. 

Ideally I would plant more, but just don't have the room.  Some asparagus is better than none.

The spot I intend to plant it is at the top end of the plot that has good drainage, I will follow your planting suggestions Trillium.

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
asparagus

Started by terry d on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 08:18
by Kristen

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 37 queries.