Chillies recommendations

• 11 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Chillies recommendations
« on: March 14, 2020, 10:16 »
Husband likes food with chillies in it, so do the the In Laws. I don't know anything about chillies because I hate them and don't even like having dried ground up ones in the cupboard.

Can anyone recommend types to grow inside? So smaller plants, I was planning on freezing them and grating them in an act that will probably ruin all my mucosal membranes and my marriage. Honesty, the children when 18 months could and can tolerate spicier food than I could/can.

I would like a properly murderously antisocial one for the In Laws because one of them isn't phased by spice heat at all. Husband says he's at the lower end of burn so mild to medium. But if there's a hotter one that's super tasty I could just add less of it.
Do different chillies actually taste much different or is it just different degrees of burn? I know chipotle chillies are different, but they are smoked and I have concluded that your tasting smoke and burn.

Feel free to chat away about what you like, stories, tips etc. I'll be interested.

Mr Dog

Re: Chillies recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 12:04 »
Prairie Fire and Basket of Fire are both small, productive plants that will grow well in smallish pots. Heat is around 80,000SHU for both.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 12:07 by Mr Dog »

Pauly1958

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 16:40 »
Paper lantern for in laws wow

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 21:41 »
Prik kee noo
If you can get the seed this is for the relatives. Its the Thai Birds Eye, Prik Kee Noo translates into the mouse droppings chilli, is small like the basket of fire above post  but a lot hotter, it has made several grown men on our site cry, the plant is smallish arond 18 to 24 inches bushy but will produce loads of tiny chillies. The other good thing is they grow fairly quick compared to other varities.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jambop

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 08:59 »
Chilli's for general use in the kitchen would be Arbol and jalapeno both giving a meal a bit of heat and Jalapeno's can be stuffed and also bottled. For a bit more pep I recommend Scotch bonnet peppers they are hot ... although there is always someone who will say not hot enough! I have grown all of these out doors with great results.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 12:25 »
Went for patio fire, (mild-medium 70,000-80,000 Scoville) "Cherry bomb" (mild 2,500-5,000 Scoville) because Husband was reminded of the Simpsons and "PEPPER HOT BIQUINO YELLOW" because it was funny looking. The blurb says it's very mild at (1000 Scovilles). All have small fruits so I can cook a huge batch of something and just add a whole fruit to it and hope for the best. Then add another if Husband okay's it.

Prik kee noo
If you can get the seed this is for the relatives. Its the Thai Birds Eye, Prik Kee Noo translates into the mouse droppings chilli, is small like the basket of fire above post  but a lot hotter, it has made several grown men on our site cry, the plant is smallish arond 18 to 24 inches bushy but will produce loads of tiny chillies. The other good thing is they grow fairly quick compared to other varities.

They were sold out. Also small children abound here, both might decide to pop a whole one into their maws, their used to us growing fruit that they can pick and eat as they fancy. So we decided that if we grow several plants MIL can add extra fruit into her dish. I nearly picked a funny looking brown one called a "Douglah Chocolate" for the MIL, then realised later it was "chocolate" brown and one of the kids might pick it like they do other fruits and die. Then I realised it was something like a Ghost Chilli and rapidly stopped.

I'd love to get one of the tiny charapita berry type chillies, but they were sold out. I also wanted a purple tiger one but cherry bomb won the chilli vote.

How are chillis in general like to grow? Is it true treating them mean makes them hotter?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 12:43 »
How are chillis in general like to grow? Is it true treating them mean makes them hotter?

Pretty easy to grow and the treat them mean bit works to ripen them and heat them up.  I pinch out growing tips to get a bushy plant, as that makes them very productive.  They get general purpose feed while growing and tomato feed while fruiting.  Mine grow in pots in the greenhouse.  Outdoor growing is hit and miss here unless you buy a variety specifically for that.  You are a lot further north than me, so inside growing is the best option.  I've grown Cherry Bomb and it is a good one  :)

When cooking with chillies, sugar is a great flavour enhancer.  A pinch can be enough, but sometimes I bung up to a dessert spoon in.  It rounds the taste out, plus takes the extreme of the burn off.  You can then taste the chilli, not just the hotness and some really do have a rich fruity flavour that is worth preserving.   It is a trick from far eastern cooking.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 12:46 by New shoot »

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 12:59 »
Went for patio fire, (mild-medium 70,000-80,000 Scoville) "Cherry bomb" (mild 2,500-5,000 Scoville) because Husband was reminded of the Simpsons and "PEPPER HOT BIQUINO YELLOW" because it was funny looking. The blurb says it's very mild at (1000 Scovilles). All have small fruits so I can cook a huge batch of something and just add a whole fruit to it and hope for the best. Then add another if Husband okay's it.

Prik kee noo

They were sold out. Also small children abound here, both might decide to pop a whole one into their maws, their used to us growing fruit that they can pick and eat as they fancy. So we decided that if we grow several plants MIL can add extra fruit into her dish. I nearly picked a funny looking brown one called a "Douglah Chocolate" for the MIL, then realised later it was "chocolate" brown and one of the kids might pick it like they do other fruits and die. Then I realised it was something like a Ghost Chilli and rapidly stopped.

I'd love to get one of the tiny charapita berry type chillies, but they were sold out. I also wanted a purple tiger one but cherry bomb won the chilli vote.

If you find you like Cherry Bomb then I'd suggest giving Big Bomb a try - they are bigger fruited (as the name suggests) and have slightly more heat, although neither are in any way hot. The plants do get much bigger, at 2ft+ tall, and ideally need a larger pot than the 'Fires' so if by inside you mean in the house  beware.

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 06:58 »
My favourite all purpose chilli with a medium heat is Palivec. 

Mr Dog

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 13:51 »
My favourite all purpose chilli with a medium heat is Palivec.

A lovely chilli - can't beat tomatoes and Palivec on toast for breakfast during the summer. Another biggish plant though if growing in the house.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 14:32 »
We still like the bog-standard 'Apache', but I suppose one way to see off the in-laws is to get a weapons-grade one, and see what happens...

Robster

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 12:16 »
It's got to be Jalape񯠲eally.  Nice and fleshy not too hot.  Great fresh bottles well makes a great sauce and as others say can be stuffed.  Easy to grow in pots as well as in the green house borders.  Always pretty successful outside as well.  Yep it's Jalape񯠥very time for me.

xx
Chillies

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2017, 11:38
by jambop
xx
Chillies help please.

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 19:14
by peapod
xx
chillies

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 21:19
by mobilekat
xx
How are your chillies doing?

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 22:40
by oldcow

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 41 queries.