Stock Piling

• 238 Replies

Blackpool rocket

Re: Stock Piling
« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2020, 12:19 »
It's like Christmas here! Val was up really early, excited and looking out of the window with lots of "is he here yet?" and "I hope they find us!"
Now she's in the kitchen emptying all the bags.
Yes, the Tesco delivery has arrived.
It's actually a split order for us and daughter who couldn't find a slot but found one for us

All the shopping was washed in warm soapy water and thoroughly rinsed. No I didn't wash the mince, but the packaging was discarded, all the fruit and veg was washed. I bought as much as I could, shrink wrapped from the factory. All packaging went straight in the outside bin. The shopping bags are in isolation for at least a week.

I had a damn good scrub down!

Be careful out there!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #196 on: April 07, 2020, 12:37 »
oh, I didn't wash all my delivery down.   Cupboard stock and chemicals, are in the garage.   The bags also.
Fruit and veg I always wash anyway.   The rest went straight into the freezers.    Lots of hand washing when I had done it though.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #197 on: April 07, 2020, 14:01 »
It's all very well, all this hand-washing, coupled with sowing, poking at compost, digging and planting, but the old mitts have become unrecognisable to the finger display on my Ipad, so it's a password every time!

Looking at said forefinger, I'm not surprised..:0(

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #198 on: April 07, 2020, 17:06 »
All the big industries are shut so there shouldn't be power problems. Was power cuts a big fear? We're in the middle of a city so we hadn't considered it.
It's just that we live in a rural area, spread out with overhead wires and poles that blow down cutting off power. When there's major problems after a storm and so forth, not a priority like a city for repair.

A relative of mine had their phone line shot by the clay pigeon shooting range down the road, they were the only ones whose line was above ground due to some sort of mix up. You could hear the rain trickling into the cables when it rained.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 17:07 by WeavingGryphon »

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #199 on: April 07, 2020, 18:32 »
Interesting bit on BBC Radio 4 about 1820 about how 4 out of 5 haulage firms are small-medium (SMEs) and the Road Haulage Association said "nearly half of all their lorries were parked up". "46% of the national fleet or 240 thousand lorries".

link to the programme
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000h0gg

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #200 on: April 07, 2020, 19:10 »
Interesting bit on BBC Radio 4 about 1820 about how 4 out of 5 haulage firms are small-medium (SMEs) and the Road Haulage Association said "nearly half of all their lorries were parked up". "46% of the national fleet or 240 thousand lorries".
We have resources in the country, it's deploying them efficiently that's the challenge. Our Tesco delivery today had a couple of minor subs but that was all so I think the panic buying is all but stopped.
Talking of resources, we all marvelled at the Chinese building a hospital in 2 weeks. The might of the Chinese military and industry. Our army and builders just quietly build and open a hospital in 9 days and are building more.
Back to stock piling, only shortage that terrifies us is the right flavour catfood. Hell hath no fury like a sulky moggy :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

wighty

« Reply #201 on: April 07, 2020, 20:18 »
We are now supplying most of the Island with paint to 'keep them occupied'.  Crown have so far done us proud,   they are supplying the paint needed (apparently) for the Scots Guards who are here to prepare the wards for our 'patients' and our paint order comes in with them.  Shed and fence paint and masonry paint is flying out.  Paul is advising on plumbing and electrical problems.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2020, 09:03 »
Are Easter eggs an essential item? If your in the shop do you feel okay to buy one or do you feel like your being naughty? Tut tut tut.

Radio topic of the day, I think if your in the shop for essentials and there is some have at it, try and keep things normal for the kids. But don't go there just for them, remember you have to work it off. Also don't work on the premise I'll buy all the pasta and milk while I'm in there

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #203 on: April 08, 2020, 09:18 »
Are Easter eggs an essential item? If your in the shop do you feel okay to buy one or do you feel like your being naughty? Tut tut tut.
I can survive without chocolate but if the tea runs out.....

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2020, 11:12 »
I must admit to eating more chocolate recently. It’s a vital food group for me  :lol: :lol: :lol:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #205 on: April 08, 2020, 11:40 »
A lot of people who stock piled at the onset will possibly now be in a situation where they overspent !  I am quite sure from pictures on the news etc, that much of that food has been wasted and thrown away.   The major stores have now come up with our needs in a way to buy it without panic.    Small local shops and community shops across the country have really pulled out the stops to help in anyway they can.  There will be shortages of some things,  but "If we can keep our heads etc" routines and management will be found.
Well done and a CLAP to the shops that are trying to help us all.   Mrs Bouquet

Growster...

« Reply #206 on: April 08, 2020, 14:31 »
My latest count of tomato plants is near seventy, and I only had plans for twenty-eight...

Am I being criminal in my use of the country's nitrogen needed to grow them for about eighteen gallons of passata, or will I have enough to last us until the next scare..:0?

Christine

« Reply #207 on: April 08, 2020, 15:13 »
Ah but Mr G you must have neighbours who want tomato plants  :lol: :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #208 on: April 08, 2020, 17:54 »
Ah but Mr G you must have neighbours who want tomato plants  :lol: :lol:

Oh yes, Christine, quite a few are earmarked for family and friends, and there are some people who don't know what they're going to get as well, as I haven't told them, but they've already done us some great favours..:0)

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #209 on: April 08, 2020, 20:52 »
Tesco's Chief Executive Dave Lewis has given the following stockpiling sales figures as reported on BBC's news pages

3.1 million containers of liquid soap, an increase of 363%
6 million tins of beans, more than double the usual amount
3.3 million tins of tomatoes, up 115% compared to a typical week
3.6 million packets of toilet roll, an increase of 76%
In contrast, he said sales of clothing and fuel both fell by 70%.

How much has the drop in fuel sales affected government revenues?
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

xx
Stock-piling

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 14:37
by Growster...
xx
Trading Hut Stock

Started by Christine on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2022, 16:24
by Christine

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 42 queries.