Stock Piling

• 238 Replies

Wellington

• Experienced Member
Re: Stock Piling
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2020, 11:26 »
Wish I had blommin’ stockpiled!  They are now asking people not take children to supermarkets (fair enough) but I have no option. I had a delivery yesterday, and was planning to edit it to last us a while as it was the last of my ‘booked before all this madness’ deliveries and there has been no availability for anything further. Only the website has been so full of glitches I couldn’t. I’ve been trying for a week to edit it to reflect what I actually need, to no avail. What a waste of a precious delivery slot! 

Funnily enough, the site was down all day yesterday for ‘essential maintenance’ and now things are looking better, and I have another slot in two weeks time. I know there is unprecedented demand, but considering Ocado is an online only service, I’d have expected them to be better equipped. I’d also expected much better (or indeed any) communication from them. I had a meat box from a local restaurant who are parceling up their usual ingredients into  boxes with booked collections to avoid contact. They’re doing veg as well, which we’ll start next week. I just need to source milk, and we will manage just fine. I had begun the switch to using local producers before all this happened (I used to use all small farms, for everything, before I went back to work full time with a child) and milk is always the hardest to source.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2020, 12:05 »
Ocado would have been set up for a level of business. Ideally with a small margin for fluctuations. After all, no business can afford to have twice the number of staff, stock, infrastructure etc. than needed. Sorry our baked beans are £5 a tin but we're ready for a demand peak if it ever happens :)
The demand at the moment is crazy.
At least we're not getting lectures on the danger of using foods that appear fine but have been impregnated with glass particles from bomb blast. The kids may be driving us mad but they've not been shipped out on a train with a label tied to them for the care of strangers. We're not reduced to rendering our saved bacon fat for baking - or coping with reduced gas pressure due to the gasworks having been hit. Nobody has explained you can make butter or marge for sandwiches go further by mixing it with mashed potatoes.. yet!

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

mrs bouquet

« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2020, 13:51 »
Wise Words John.         Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2020, 16:24 »
Nobody has explained you can make butter or marge for sandwiches go further by mixing it with mashed potatoes.. yet!

Well that's a thing.

Growster...

« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2020, 18:12 »
"We're not reduced to rendering our saved bacon fat"

Blast, that's another luxury gone to the dogs!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #185 on: April 04, 2020, 18:14 »
Sorry everyone, my head's in 1940 at the moment and I can't help thinking how much better off we are than they were then. This situation is tough, believe me we're feeling it, but comparing with that wartime period helps me keep things in perspective.

There are lots of people helping others, not just NHS volunteers but those going to the shops for friends, neighbours and strangers. The help is welcomed but a also knowing someone else does care.

Growster...

« Reply #186 on: April 04, 2020, 18:21 »
Too true, John!

I'd like to hear a 'Clap for Chemists', too.

Our gals are just fabulous, and as they're the only meds shop in the village, will get all sorts of nasties chucked at them by way of germs, moans etc!

So here's me, clapping for Michelle, Sally, Heather, Sandra and the back-room girls...

"Clap clap clap clap"

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: April 04, 2020, 21:31 »
Sorry everyone, my head's in 1940 at the moment and I can't help thinking how much better off we are than they were then. This situation is tough, believe me we're feeling it, but comparing with that wartime period helps me keep things in perspective.

It does make you think doesn't it.  They had 6 years of it and we have not even been through 6 weeks yet. 

My mum is saying Ocado have been particularly dire and she has used them for years now.  Sainsburys have got her on priority delivery slots, so all is well, but I don't think she will be rushing back to Ocado.  She is really cross with them.   

103 on line deliveries from our little shop today, plus in store shops going out as well.  Extra drivers nearly all day from 6am to 11pm (OH on temporary contract being one of them) and happy customers reported.  He said he delivered to a lot of elderly people who were so pleased to have a knock on the door and a quick chat at a distance. The bags of shopping left for them were almost an added bonus  :)   

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #188 on: April 06, 2020, 19:44 »
We were got some beef mince by the In Laws delivering over the hedge. It wasn't British! Or from this pair of islands, because we do see some Irish beef. The HORROR THE HORROR.

That shows how the food hoarding is being cured.

Has the purchasing of freezers gone up to help people store all this food, especially meat?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #189 on: April 06, 2020, 19:59 »

Has the purchasing of freezers gone up to help people store all this food, especially meat?
Yes, freezers are being bought in much higher quantities than normal. My daughter asked me what I thought about a new oven (her old one died, irreparable) so I looked on AO site and there was something to the effect of fast deliveries on everything except freezers.
They'll be really miffed if the power goes out! Incidentally, if you are buying a freezer look for how long they hold temperature if there's a power cut. We get cuts quite often so we have a chest freezer that will hold for 36 hours :)

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #190 on: April 06, 2020, 20:08 »

Yes, freezers are being bought in much higher quantities than normal. My daughter asked me what I thought about a new oven (her old one died, irreparable) so I looked on AO site and there was something to the effect of fast deliveries on everything except freezers.
They'll be really miffed if the power goes out! Incidentally, if you are buying a freezer look for how long they hold temperature if there's a power cut. We get cuts quite often so we have a chest freezer that will hold for 36 hours :)

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

All the big industries are shut so there shouldn't be power problems. Was power cuts a big fear? We're in the middle of a city so we hadn't considered it.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2020, 20:30 »
interestingly, ive struggled to get printer ink cartridges today...Argos site crashing as they now only do click and collect..tried for hours to pay...gave up.  now ordered from Epson direct..2-4 day delivery but at least I could order :mad:

even amazon prime didn't have the 'official' cartridges available...I wonder if all these people who are 'working from home' are ordering them all up?   :ohmy:

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #192 on: April 06, 2020, 20:31 »
I've just returned from my daily visit to my Mum, I cook her supper every day and have been doing so for the last few years.
She has a helper in twice a day, morning and afternoon, Mum is the only person she sees, thankfully.

Mum was born in 1929. She lived in Ewell (near Epsom, Sutton, outer London) During the war, her father refused to have her sent out with a label around her neck. Times were, as we all know, very difficult (understatement.)
Mum has said to me several times now "This is so much worse than the war, at least then we would get a warning when the doodlebugs were coming and we could dash to the shelter" "This is so hidden, you could be killed by someone standing next to you 2 weeks ago" They never had a direct hit although many in their road did. The windows were put in a few times and ceilings came down. She recounts many tales which I won't bore you with, standing in the garden with her Granny looking up in the sky..."There go our boys"
She never seems particularly phased by it, but this pandemic seems to her, a much greater threat.

I went to Waitrose this morning, I still need to buy supplies for Christine, myself and Mum. It was my first venture out, except seeing Mum, for a couple of weeks. The local shop is small and I felt a big shop would be "safer" It was deserted, maybe 30 people spread over a large store.
They had everything I needed and I only noticed one blank area, I didn't look really but I think it was the flour section.
I felt particularly grubby when I got home. All the shopping was washed in warm soapy water and thoroughly rinsed. No I didn't wash the mince, but the packaging was discarded, all the fruit and veg was washed. I bought as much as I could, shrink wrapped from the factory. All packaging went straight in the outside bin. The shopping bags are in isolation for at least a week.

I had a damn good scrub down!

Paranoid, not much!

This really is a silent killer.

Stay safe and well everyone.

Br

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #193 on: April 07, 2020, 00:40 »
All the big industries are shut so there shouldn't be power problems. Was power cuts a big fear? We're in the middle of a city so we hadn't considered it.
It's just that we live in a rural area, spread out with overhead wires and poles that blow down cutting off power. When there's major problems after a storm and so forth, not a priority like a city for repair.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #194 on: April 07, 2020, 10:52 »
It's like Christmas here! Val was up really early, excited and looking out of the window with lots of "is he here yet?" and "I hope they find us!"
Now she's in the kitchen emptying all the bags.
Yes, the Tesco delivery has arrived.
It's actually a split order for us and daughter who couldn't find a slot but found one for us

xx
Stock-piling

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 14:37
by Growster...
xx
Trading Hut Stock

Started by Christine on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2022, 16:24
by Christine

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 53 queries.