Stock Piling

• 238 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Re: Stock Piling
« Reply #210 on: April 09, 2020, 08:15 »

In contrast, he said sales of clothing and fuel both fell by 70%.

Fill up your tank, it's the cheapest it's been in years.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #211 on: April 09, 2020, 09:00 »
Cheap fuel... and nowhere to go! :ohmy:

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Growster...

« Reply #212 on: April 09, 2020, 14:23 »

Fill up your tank, it's the cheapest it's been in years.

As for buying clothes, as I just wear gardening stuff every day at the moment (even walking JRT first thing, but nobody sees me), I can use the old shirts and shorts I've had for donkey's years, so I'm afraid 'Cotton Traders' shouldn't have sold such good stuff in 2005...

Watch cheap petrol though - if you're not driving, it sometimes gums up the works - so a petrol-head chum told me when he found out that we only did 3,000 miles a year...:0(

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #213 on: April 09, 2020, 20:25 »
Petrol should be used in 30 days I believe but you can get away with a B&S additive for lawnmowers and rotavators etc.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #214 on: April 09, 2020, 21:15 »
Petrol should be used in 30 days I believe but you can get away with a B&S additive for lawnmowers and rotavators etc.

Good to mention this as so many of us are parked up and it is so easy to loose track of time .

Went on google and typed in  'how long does petrol last UK '

Petrol will generally last for around 3 weeks at summer temperature in a vented fuel tank, after which time the performance will suffer, and it will be best to add fresh fuel to restore the performance. Petrol in a sealed container will last for more than 6 months before the performance suffers too much.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

mrs bouquet

« Reply #215 on: April 09, 2020, 22:58 »
What about Diesel  ?  The trouble is if you go for an illegal drive around the block, it doesn't give the battery a chance to charge.        Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #216 on: April 10, 2020, 06:17 »

One way to alleviate this is to use the higher octane petrol apparently!

My garage usually alternates between the two. I also use it in the mower and Mantis, and while a bit rich, they both survived the winter well.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #217 on: April 10, 2020, 08:13 »
Shopping day and I'm really excited! Just counting down until I'm allowed to go in. I'm not getting into the Easter eggs debate, I'm getting bubble mix if they have some since the kids craft section is usually empty. It's essential to amuse bored children at an allotment when it's cold and cloudy.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #218 on: April 10, 2020, 08:21 »

Just read this on the BBC news website
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52146507

Clothing makers in Asia give stark coronavirus warning
"If our workers don't die from coronavirus, they'd die of starvation."

This is the stark assessment of how the pandemic is impacting the clothing industry from garment factory owner, Vijay Mahtaney, the chairman of Ambattur Fashion India.

I never thought that far along the shopping chain to be honest. But my pair went up in size before this all kicked off so their new wardrobe has already been bought.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #219 on: April 10, 2020, 11:28 »
I'm trying to get some of my (and Aunt Sally's I suspect from the reviews on Amazon) favourite flour and another company is selling it for over twice the regular price on Amazon. We reported it to the company that sells it and the flour was taken down. Now it's back up with twice the amount.

Livid.

Wow, the time it took to write the above there the 8 bags sold out.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:36 by WeavingGryphon »

Growster...

« Reply #220 on: April 10, 2020, 14:47 »
Luckily, with all the social technology around from decent places like this, down to low extortionate profiteering, we'll all know where to go and not to go to buy, when all this dies down.

Long memories an' stuff will win out..:0)

grinling

« Reply #221 on: April 10, 2020, 21:09 »
oil is cheap, we ordered 500 litres and that was 27p a litre.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #222 on: April 11, 2020, 08:29 »
Luckily, with all the social technology around from decent places like this, down to low extortionate profiteering, we'll all know where to go and not to go to buy, when all this dies down.

Long memories an' stuff will win out..:0)

If it's a first time customer they won't know the correct price or think to go to their website. This profiteering means that people will go back to the supermarket for foreign imported flour, rather than UK bought flour. They'll think local grown is extortionate. Matthews grow, mill and sell their own flour, although some is mixed with strong Canadian flour-it's got a high protein level with affects your bread.

I've bought off them at the normal price and knew that it was a criminal price and went to their website, because I'm running out of the last lot I bought. So next week we have a several different types of flour (self raising, rye, white bread, wholemeal, light and dark Cotswold-multi grain) coming in the post. I bake several times a week so I do find buying 16kg of self raising suits us.

Growster...

« Reply #223 on: April 11, 2020, 12:33 »
Good point, Weavers!

We've doubled up our tomato planting because I just can't see how a Spanish/Italian lorry trundling across Europe will be allowed to get here easily!

Here in Kent, we have Thanet Earth, which is one enormous greenhouse the size of a small village, and they seem to supply toms and peppers everywhere! Maybe we'll all be OK...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: April 11, 2020, 16:01 »
We've doubled up our tomato planting because I just can't see how a Spanish/Italian lorry trundling across Europe will be allowed to get here easily!

We have loads of fresh Spanish produce arriving daily as work.  They have said deliveries were being held up at the borders of Italy, but that seems to have eased a bit.  We are getting the usual numbers of frozen pizza now.  Dry pasta and flour is still hit and miss, but I think that is because the warehouses of Europe were emptied by the panic buying across several countries. 

People are choosing to stay local and we are still taking a lot of money.  It is just spread out over more normal sized shops.  There 100 plus on line shops going out daily as well, but again, lots of smaller shops instead of the massive orders we were taking.  At some points the shop looks pretty empty in sections as we are waiting for our delivery.  Although massive amounts coming in every day, we are pretty much selling through the fruit and veg, yogurts, cheese, eggs and some other basics. 

The supply chain is working, just under pressure still.  It is fridge lorries and drivers that they say are the shortage, not the food  :)

xx
Stock-piling

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 14:37
by Growster...
xx
Trading Hut Stock

Started by Christine on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2022, 16:24
by Christine

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 52 queries.