mycorrhizal powder

• 3 Replies

LILLILEAF

mycorrhizal powder
« on: January 26, 2020, 11:22 »
Has any one used this powder on there veg or fruit I am just looking into it, weather it is worth the extra cost are the results good enough.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: mycorrhizal powder
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 17:37 »
The little bit of reading I've done about it, suggest that it is worthwhile for permanent plants, like bushes, trees and shrubs, but not for flowers/veg. So I've only used it for those, I wouldn't like to  say that it has made any difference one way or the other tbh...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 20:55 »
When I was doing my HNC in horticulture, one of our lecturers was a scientist who had previously worked at a research station. 

He told us that mycorrhizal treatments were of benefit on soil where there had been a change of use e.g. grassland or lawn converted to growing land or borders.  There would be myorrhizal fungi in the grassland soil, but it would be the kind that links into grass roots.  In the same way, it was useful when planting trees, unless you were planting in a woodland.

The general purpose packs contain some of everything, so if you can track down a specific type for a particular job, that could be a better bet.  If the ground you are planting into has previously grown fruit and veg, it should not really be needed if the soil is in decent heart  :)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 09:06 »
This is not a scientific reply but... I had some that I had received free so I thought that I wouldn't waste it and I used it on my parsnips. They turned out to be whoppers!

xx
Mycorrhizal fungi Rootgrow

Started by Gardener and Rabbit on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 31, 2013, 14:36
by RJR_38
xx
'rootgrow' mycorrhizal fungi

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 02, 2012, 20:06
by Trillium
xx
Mycorrhizal Fungi - potential uses in horticulture

Started by askari on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 10, 2013, 14:40
by Trillium
xx
is ant powder safe?

Started by andy43 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 16:03
by Roll Roll

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 36 queries.