Spring Onion Success

• 5 Replies

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
Spring Onion Success
« on: July 04, 2019, 17:03 »
This year I started sowing spring onions at home in 4 inch pots and planting them out when they where "straw" size. I have to say its been a tremendous success and am now coming to the end of those sown this way. They are now finger thickness and very tasty.

I will doing more this way over the early months as this certainly seem to work well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Spring Onion Success
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 18:52 »
Congratulations! I have never ever had any success with spring onions  :unsure: :wub:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 05:37 »
Congratulations on your success. I subscribe to Charles Dowding's recommended method and find it works well. Sow 8 to 10 seeds in each module and when they are big enough plant out the whole module (or in the greenhouse to over winter) and then lift the whole lot or twist out the biggest when they are the right size. We use quite a lot over a year for salads and stir fries so I sow a batch every 5 to 6 weeks. Suits me sir!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 08:02 »
Well done to Enfield Glen for finding  a method that works for you. Spring Onions are so tiny & skinny when they first come up they are easily swamped in the open ground
I have module-sown veggies for many year and several seeds in one compartment does work well, and the  whole block can be planted out as a chunk all together once the roots have grown sufficiently to bind it. As Dev said, they can be lifted as a bunch when required
Nothing like that feeling of success when you have been able to grow something previously afailure for you, is there?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 13:56 »
Last year I sowed mine outside and had a miserable germination. This year I treat them like leeks and sowed them in pots then planted them out individually and it's working!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 08:19 »
Last year I sowed mine outside and had a miserable germination. This year I treat them like leeks and sowed them in pots then planted them out individually and it's working!

Good! They are such a lovely fresh taste it always seems a shame when people have little success with them somehow  :) :)

xx
Red spring onion

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 23, 2017, 21:46
by p6t6
xx
spring onion problem!

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 23:03
by solway cropper
xx
Spring Onion - Indoors

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 13, 2012, 16:59
by JayG
xx
Raddish and Spring Onion

Started by gwltabb on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 09:55
by Irene

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 30 queries.