Experiences with Lidl strawberries?

• 7 Replies

Nobbie

Experiences with Lidl strawberries?
« on: February 24, 2018, 09:44 »
I need to renew my strawberry bed and noticed that Lidl have six packs of Ostara, Senga Sengata, Sonata and Korona. I've done a search on here and Sonata and Korona seem to get decent reviews.

I'm thinking about potting them on in the greenhouse before planting out later when the beds ready and nipping out all the flowers on the earlies to strengthen them up for fruiting next year. I was wondering about potting up six perpetuals and leaving them to fruit in big pots this year. Just wondered what people's experiences were with grow on these strawberries and getting fruit?

snowdrops

Re: Experiences with Lidl strawberries?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:53 »
I bought 6 of Ostara,Korona & Sonata, about 3 years ago & they’ve done really well, at the time they also had Elsanta & I had 6 of them too. Each year except last I took runners off & potted them into hanging baskets & hung them in the greenhouse for an early crop, then discarded them. Unfortunately last autumn I didn’t take any runners & as I want to start a new bed of them this year I will be buying fresh plants at £2.99 for 6 plants I’m more than happy with them . I see they have them in from Thursday
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

lettice

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 10:22 »
I bought three plants back in 2016, a roman, merlan and a tristan.
Had bowlfuls the first year every week or more for a few months.
I took runners and grew them in pots and baskets and had a great crop again last year. Had 18 new plants.
I did buy a few more last year from Lidl and they also produce a great crop.
Took more runners again and all 30 are looking healthy for another good year.
I'm passing on ten or so of those runners to neighbours as I really do not have the pots and baskets for all those.
Both years though did have a few runners that withered away, so best to be sure and take more than you may need.

Here was the thread I did when I got them back then with a few updates;
£1 strawberry plants from Lidl in Frugal Living - Page 1 of 1

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 14:36 »
Excellent, I'll be down there first thing Thursday before they get a chance to kill them. Just need to research the varieties a bit more to decide how many of each.

This sunshine has really given me the growing bug again, the house will be heaving with plants soon :lol:

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 18:32 »
Thanks for sharing. As our local Lidl is only 250 yards away I think I will be popping in.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 18:49 »
Excellent, I'll be down there first thing Thursday before they get a chance to kill them. Just need to research the varieties a bit more to decide how many of each.

This sunshine has really given me the growing bug again, the house will be heaving with plants soon :lol:

I bought 6 of each of the 4 varieties on offer that year & I've had ample, even enough to make jam from last year which was a first for me. Probably made about 8 full sized jars. 😊 I’m thinking of buying the same again this year to replace the first lot, they’ll be finished after this year. Already got a row of Elsanta from runners in the fruit cage.

moreteavicar

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 03:01 »
This sunshine has really given me the growing bug again,:

Just found this site while googling Ostara strawbs.
You did it Nobbie - you made it snow!

Nobbie

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 11:06 »
This sunshine has really given me the growing bug again,:

Just found this site while googling Ostara strawbs.
You did it Nobbie - you made it snow!

LOL, yes, I do seem to have jinxed the weather somewhat. Was a bit concerned that Lidl might not get it's deliveries because of the snow, but got to the store this morning and there were two full racks of strawbs :D, no Senga Sengata, Elsanta in it's place, so I got one of each and will put on the windowsill in the unheated loft conversion until the weather improves and then pot up and put in the greenhouse before planting out so that they get the best start. Some already have flowers on, but I'll remove these to encourage stronger growth.

xx
'No Dig' Allotment Experiences

Started by Classybird on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post February 22, 2012, 23:44
by Salmo
xx
Nematode experiences?

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 11:16
by lozenge
xx
Soya bean experiences

Started by Andrew n on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 22, 2013, 20:42
by Yorkie
xx
My Strawberry Experiences Re-Visited

Started by rao on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 24, 2012, 13:12
by rao

Page created in 1.232 seconds with 36 queries.