Short on allotment time

• 12 Replies

pottylotty1

Short on allotment time
« on: February 26, 2018, 21:32 »
  Hello everyone

I've owned an allotment for the past six years. However, due to looking after my elderly mum who lives with me and working four days a week my time at the allotment is sadly reducing each passing year. I grow mainly potatoes and shallots. Can anyone recommend any other crops that dont need a lot of attention. I fancy trying to grow something different this year. Any help would really be appreciated.
Ps. I live in Essex so I guess our weather is a little warmer than other parts of the uk.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Short on allotment time
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 22:12 »
Runner beans, French beans and sweetcorn are all as easy as anything to grow with little attention once they're up and running.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 22:14 »
Before everyone weighs in I'll recommend Marketmore outdoor cucumber. Buy the seed and raise plants, or buy plants after the last frost.
These small cucumbers don't seem to get eaten or diseased; need no looking after; produce lots of fruit and taste better than anything from the shop!

snow white

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 08:03 »
There are many stick in and leave plants. 

The best I have found is Chard.  Amazing stuff.  Nothing eats it, it doesn't get diseased.  You can harvest it from early summer right through to late spring.  Doesn't need special treatment.

Pumpkins.  Plant it in loads of manure and harvest it in autumn.  The fruits lasts for months. 

Sprouts.  Again plant, fertilise, leave until ready.  Keeps its sprouts through the winter until you pick them.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 08:28 »
If plot time is short and getting there to harvest can be a problem, the following stand and can be picked at either wide intervals, or in one go - perpetual spinach, drying beans like borlotti, squashes, onions from sets and winter cabbage and kale, but you will need to net these last 2.

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 13:17 »
Squash are good for planting and forgetting about since they tend to be vigorous and suppress weeds beneath the canopy of leaves. As long as it's warm when you plant them out, they'll romp away. If you like fruit, blackcurrants, gooseberries and raspberries take up very little time, just keep a good layer of mulch around them to keep down the weeds.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 19:10 »
I too have been short on allotment time these past couple of years. This year I've made a resolution to go every week, even if it is only to spend a short amount of time there. So far so good, it's all about routine for me.

I've been watch Charles Dowding's No Dig Youtube channel but I do not have enough compost. But he suggests growing squashes through plastic sheet which would cut down on weeding. Also reading around I will be mulching with straw the plants that are not prone to slug attack such as garlic, tomatoes, salad potatoes and mature leeks.

That's the plan currently and I'll be watching this link for further ideas.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 20:40 »
I am with Nobbie on this, squash are great for your purpose and once cropped will last for ages.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

pottylotty1

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 22:04 »
Thank you everyone who has kindly replied. I'll take the info on board and decide what to grow.

I wish you all luck with whatever your growing this year.

Happy gardening.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 01:06 »
Hello pottylotty,

I'd second all of the suggestions above but as the chair of the association I belong to I'd urge you to let your committee or site managers know what is going on.

It could be that some other alotmenteers might be able to help you keep it ticking along, or at he very least might be less hard on you when plot inspections are happening if things are looking neglected.

Additionally, perhaps you could consider some permanent crops that just get on with it like Jerusalem Artichokes, asparagus, rhubarb, raspberries etc?

Hope you find some time soon, Su

Mr Dog

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 10:02 »
Hello pottylotty,

I'd second all of the suggestions above but as the chair of the association I belong to I'd urge you to let your committee or site managers know what is going on.

It could be that some other alotmenteers might be able to help you keep it ticking along, or at he very least might be less hard on you when plot inspections are happening if things are looking neglected.

Additionally, perhaps you could consider some permanent crops that just get on with it like Jerusalem Artichokes, asparagus, rhubarb, raspberries etc?

Hope you find some time soon, Su

I'd very strongly discourage putting JAs in the ground as you'll soon have a plot full of them - grow in large pots if you want them! As mentioned by others above winter squash will just get on with it and with the right varieties you don't need many to cover  a large area.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 22:07 »
I'd very strongly discourage putting JAs in the ground as you'll soon have a plot full of them

Only if you don't dig them up and eat them!  :lol:

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 08:35 »
Flowers! Last year we were short on time as well and divided the patches with broad strips of flowers and herbs.. This reduces your full m2, it is a beautiful sight, good for the bees and when they are done: just rip the flowers out and put on your compost heap. (I do have about 40 thyme plants now ..)
We used calendula a lot, Tropaeolum magus: the eatable flower, chrysantium, Tagetes (the big ones), camomile, thyme, salvia, rosemary.
Leafy beets are good as well: strong and need little attention apart from harvesting and eating.

As mentioned before: different kinds of pumpkins and Artichokes: in the evening the flowers will be full with bumble bees, who sleep in the flower! The sight will make you happy.

The experience I have on the plot is like SnooziSusi says: communicate with the board and things are a little more relaxed..
a70faf614365b028c16fa643f3647eb6.jpg

xx
Just been to see my allotment for first time!

Started by bashful_badger on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 21:32
by HilaryG
xx
First Time Allotment

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 16:02
by Trikidiki
xx
First time allotment holder

Started by Stortgrower on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 15:04
by JohnB47
xx
Getting an allotment this time of year

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 22:11
by Robin Redbreast

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 50 queries.