Moving on.

• 8 Replies

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
Moving on.
« on: January 29, 2008, 11:55 »
A bit of a sad and happy weekend really. I finally moved all the last of the bits and bobs from my small veg patch at home down to the allotment. Although I'm really enjoying my new plot, I just felt a bit sad about turning my back on the little patch that had served me so well.

Its only a rented property so I never wanted to put too much effort in as we may move, there is still some garlic and onions in which I will harvest, but just got my hands full down the lottie to do anything else there :cry:
But I couldn't resist turning the soil one last time, it made me very tempted to but a few pumpkins/squash in later as I've put alot of work into the soil and its a fair bit better than the stuff down the plot. Just seems a shame to let it waste.

Anyone any ideas on really low maintenance stuff I could put in, otherwise I'll leave it to the weeds :cry:

WG.

Moving on.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:07 »
So you are still staying on in the house?

If so, herbs would be much handier at home than at the lottie.

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
Moving on.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 12:23 »
Yes we are, the garden is shared so its not the best situation, but none of the other tenants use it, just got an allotment sooner than I thought I would.

I've got a big tub of herbs on the balcony, so I think I'm sorted there. Just was thinking along the lines of vegs that don't mind weeds around them :lol:

WG.

Moving on.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 12:33 »
Can't suggest much better than courgette or other cucurbit then.  They'll keep down the weeds once they get ahead of them and all can be 'rotated' by simply choosing a different spot for the actual roots each year.

Handy for the house too - courgettes need picked 3 times a week where you are I'd imagine.

GreenOwl

Moving on.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 15:20 »
salads and dwarf french beans.  Really useful to have salad leaves close at hand.  French beans are easy, dwarf ones don't need any support.  Only thing they need is frequent picking - and you're close at hand.

You can plant both direct so no fiddling.  Better to put something in as you're already put the effort into the soil.

Contadino

• Experienced Member
Moving on.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 16:22 »
Leaf chicory or sorrel.  They're pretty much weeds anyway and will do well this time of year.

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
Moving on.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 17:28 »
GIANT PUMPKIN.
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

littlemisssunshine

Moving on.
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 18:07 »
I have a tiny bed in the garden that first got me into this allotment malarkey.  I am going to fill it with herbs and salad veg/mini veg, handy close to the house when preparing lunches.  Am keeping the 'heavy stuff' at my lottie.

gobs

Moving on.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 20:06 »
Quote from: "ditchdigger"
GIANT PUMPKIN.

That would be one good way to go and even inter-planted with all sorts as per WG, squashes, marrows, pumpkins, cucumbers, once they've grown, no weeds. Stick a melon in just for luck, too, and let them run over each other. 8)  Fun to find the fruits. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
moving veg

Started by henny penny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 17:29
by henny penny
xx
moving veg

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2015, 08:22
by Nobbie
xx
Moving Asparagus

Started by Trebor on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 15:30
by Trebor
xx
Rasperries, moving again?

Started by Little Dibber on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 10:35
by Little Dibber

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 28 queries.