Mole infestation

• 8 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Mole infestation
« on: December 15, 2016, 17:09 »
Anyone else suffering from this? I couldn't care less about the hills they make in our field but when they encroach onto my veg plots and lawn, it's time for action. Called the local mole-catcher (in Carlisle parlance "mowdy gadgy") last weekend. Today he looked at the traps he'd set. Three moles in an area of about 80ft x 40ft. Put the corpses on gate posts and the crows had pounced almost before I'd turned round

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
Re: Mole infestation
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 18:38 »
I'm pleased you had success, Alan. In fact, i envy you. The one (i think it's just one as they're solitary animals) that's plagued me has similarly kept my husband very entertained all summer. He's devised all manner of gadgets intending to either to gas, smoke or explode him into smithereens. This is what scientists do in their retirement years, apparently.

Of course he hasn't been all that serious in catching him What would he do with himself then? Certainly not tidy his study!

Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 19:06 »
in the last month or so  the local moles have been busy. once you catch them, given time others will be back. it always seems to be the same area that the moles go to.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 20:02 »
The area in question, a rough lawn that my wife uses to train our dogs for agility competitions is riddled with mole tunnels so as soon as you trap one inhabitant, its place is quickly taken by the next one. The only real solution is to plough it all over so we just put up with it.

I've watched the mowdy-man at work. Apparently the moles (mowdies) have a very acute sense of smell so he wears rubber gloves when he's setting the traps. Their saving grace is that they are only active in winter and early spring

LILLILEAF

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 05:43 »
Moles are a pain when they when they are busy >:(,my best mole catcher has been our cats,one summer the cat brought me 14 and that was the ones he left by the back door,now we are at another house yes we have moles and we have a new cat and yes she catches them she has had 3 so far this winter,for me cats are great for the job,no gas or traps reguired.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 22:07 »
I'm pleased you had success, Alan. In fact, i envy you. The one (i think it's just one as they're solitary animals) that's plagued me has similarly kept my husband very entertained all summer. He's devised all manner of gadgets intending to either to gas, smoke or explode him into smithereens. This is what scientists do in their retirement years, apparently.

Of course he hasn't been all that serious in catching him What would he do with himself then? Certainly not tidy his study!

:lol: An image of a mad scientist in a white lab coat, with white hair sticking out and singed ends comes to mind

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jambop

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 15:54 »
If you have a mole catcher then great but for me I have to do things myself. The best and absolutely certain remedy is what I call the exploder :) It is basically a detonator connected to a micro switch which is then tripped by the unfortunate mole... instant death.. literally blown to next week . The device is not cheap but it works and I do not have any moles now... although being next to an unused field they will return... set as soon as the hill shows ... bang and its a goner.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 17:20 »
Did you buy it in Syria?

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 19:17 »
Ha Ha, Yorkie. Dare i show it to him?

xx
Mammalian Infestation

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 22:00
by Kajazy
xx
Parsnip Infestation

Started by bi11 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2020, 21:38
by grinling
xx
Red ant infestation in spuds!!!!

Started by paulb58 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 20:15
by paulb58
xx
Greenfly infestation

Started by Phoenix on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2006, 23:38
by John

Page created in 0.465 seconds with 28 queries.