Clearing a plot in January?

• 11 Replies

Hyacinth

Clearing a plot in January?
« on: December 10, 2016, 17:03 »
I've been offered an allotment half-plot which I should receive more information about in January.

I don't know what condition it will be in and I'm worried about trying to start clearing it in the middle of the Arctic tundra that is a Scottish winter.

How much work will they expect me to do right away? When is the best time to try and make a start on making it ok for spring, and is there anything sensible I could make an early start on? Any advice greatly appreciated!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Clearing a plot in January?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 17:38 »
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I don't think they'll expect you to have finished it before the weather improves, but I find it helps a lot if people see you there doing things, even if it is just a little bit at a time. The other allotment holders/committee tend to worry if no-one is seen, and nothing changes. You'll be able to see when other people have managed to dig and start yourself.

For now you could measure up and make a plan, decide where your paths and beds are going to be. Then you could mark them out with string tied to bits of cane. It shows intent IYKWIM, and at least you won't dig where you don't need to.

Good luck

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 20:54 »
For me Its the best time to work on the plot I would get your self a sharp digging hoe and turn the soil over if its frozen then you shoulld get great clods of froven earth up. You will then expose all the roots and bugs so they to will be frosted saving time and effort in the spring and if its a clay soil the frost will break it down to a fine tilth . The worst time to work it is in the spring when the soil is cold wet and easily to compact .
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 23:03 »
You'll be just fine, Hyacinth!

All you need to do is show willing! We all do here, and we all had to start somewhere!

You're going to be perfick, so just do anything you want down there, like tidying up, digging a bit, clearing stuff!

It all counts, and anyway, you need to do all that to get going for all those beds next year!

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 15:52 »
Absolutely agree Growster.  Just remember that anything you do clear will grow weeds again in the Spring so if you have worked hard on a space make sure you cover it with something - black weed membrane, cardboard, or simple spare stuff that is lying around.  Do it little and often and don't be disheartened, get your basics in place before the season starts and work and cover as you go.  Enjoy it and dream of the lovely stuff that you will grow next year.  Go one bed at a time.....

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 17:35 »
Bonfire and other rubbish to the tip. Get a big Thermos flask given to you for Christmas.

MustbeMad

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 08:56 »
Just recently got a plot myself - as has been said 'a little bit at a time' and 'showing willing' seems to be the order of the day. It never looks like much has been done each weekend but there is now a noticeable difference from the day1 even if I am the only one who can see it 😁

If the whole plot is done by this time next year I will be happy! My target by spring is the polytunnel and 5 small beds to start off the rotation as there is nothing like sowing seeds and things growing to spur you on, or that's what I tell myself😄

MBM

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 09:43 »
Take a photo or two so that you can see the difference.

riggers24

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 22:35 »
When I got my plot, I took photos before I did any work. I wandered around the allotment looking at the other plots to gain ideas and then set about clearing a small patch at a time. You'll be a amazed how quick the garden comes together and you are planting.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 00:35 »
Make sure as soon as your plans are drawn up and all the weeds etc are cleared, cover and mark it out, dig alittle at a time.  Take lots of pictures as you go. 

Watch this.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM_gtZb8qyk

Make yourself up three good size compost bins, ask santa for a good paper shredder and you half way to making your own.

When ever you think it's getting to much sit  down and have a cuppa.  Five years on and I've just landed myself the plot next to me so starting again too, feeling excited.

Most important is have fun.

edit to fix link
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:54 by mumofstig »
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

al78

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 18:30 »
It depends on the weather. If it is a cold dry winter, and the soil doesn't resemble a peat bog, you can clear a bit at a time. Give yourself half an hour or whatever time you feel you can commit once or twice a week and clear a couple of square metres. If you keep doing this every weekend you will soon see some progress.

If the soil is wet and it is persistently raining, don't bother digging until the weather improves.

Before doing any digging, I recommend cutting down and weeds with a pair of shears, then covering the plot with cardboard (bicycle shops are a good source), or weed control membrane (don't get the woven stuff unless you relish the thought of picking out black strands of plastic from the soil for the rest of the year). When you feel up to doning some clearing, peel back a small section and dig out as many of the roots as you can. By Spring, you will have enough done to start cultivation, then just keep clearing step by step until it is all cleared.

ptarmigan

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 15:06 »
Have a google at lasagna gardening. If you mark out a bed size, put cardboard down then cover with manure you will get a head start in the spring.   

xx
Clearing the plot

Started by Pep on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 08:29
by Christine
xx
Clearing new plot

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 08:56
by cAnAry53
xx
Clearing a new plot

Started by tuckers_luck on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 23:36
by gavinjconway
xx
clearing my plot

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 18:28
by harrymac

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 38 queries.