Spring Greens

• 20 Replies

mashauk

Spring Greens
« on: January 23, 2008, 22:55 »
I'm asking this in here because I'm embarassed!  We had spring greens with our dinner, and I've never had it before :oops: Is it actually a variety or part of a cabbage or is there a plant called spring greens, because I've never seen seeds for it or heard of anyone growing it, I feel really stupid.

Now you know why I'm asking in here :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Spring Greens
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 23:00 »
I've moved this to GrowYour Own to cause you embarrisment Mashauk  :lol:  :lol:

It is indeed a variety of cabbage.  I've grown Mastergreen this year  It is totally yummy and we've just started to eat it

mashauk

Spring Greens
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 23:06 »
Oh thanks :oops:  every time I asked OH what it was, he just says it's spring greens innit! I was sure it was a cabbage but I liked it and want to grow some.  I shall await the sarcastic comments with glee, not.

Fat Hen

Spring Greens
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 23:27 »
Leftovers make fantastic bubble n squeak the following day.

splodger

Spring Greens
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 23:28 »
i personally - class spring greens as any green edible top - at this time of year - that includes cabbages , naturally - but also sprout top greens, brocc tops etc etc

the tender tops of most greens are very edible and very tasty - and if it's not your bag - you can give them to the chooks because they will love them

mashauk

Spring Greens
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 23:30 »
Quote from: "splodger"
i personally - class spring greens as any green edible top - at this time of year - that includes cabbages , naturally - but also sprout top greens, brocc tops etc etc

the tender tops of most greens are very edible and very tasty - and if it's not your bag - you can give them to the chooks because they will love them

The only chooks round live in Tesco!  So are there any leaves that you can't eat or shouldn't eat?  It always seems such a waste when you get so much foliage on plants like broccoli when you only eat a bit of it.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Spring Greens
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 23:32 »

Ooo no... they are all different to me  :!:

gobs

Spring Greens
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 23:36 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

#

I would also add sorrel, nettle, and other odd stuff that comes your way. :roll:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mashauk

Spring Greens
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 23:38 »
Quote from: "gobs"

#

I would also add sorrel, nettle, and other odd stuff that comes your way. :roll:

I'm very allergic to nettles so I don't think I could pick them to eat them.  I'm thinking about trying some leaves in my vegetable stock though, rather than chucking them all on the compost, I assume nothing will kill me?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Spring Greens
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 23:45 »
Quote from: "gobs"

#

Sorrel is very like spinach, which I'm not keen on.  Never tried nettle though.  Might give them a try when they start growing.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Spring Greens
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 23:51 »
Just read this though

Quote from: "http://www.shee-eire.com/Herbs,Trees&Fungi/Herbs/Nettle/Factsheet1.htm"
Nettle can also be eaten as a vegetable, but old plants
must be thoroughly cooked to be safe. Young plants in the spring can be used for salad or as a vegetable.
CAUTION -: Do not eat old plants uncooked; they can produce kidney damage and the symptoms of poisoning.

gobs

Spring Greens
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 23:56 »
Yes' I know that Aunty, we have  always used the young leaves, but them are very good for you. :)

WG.

Spring Greens
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 23:59 »
Sorrel is very like spinach, which I'm not keen on.
I like either raw in a salad.  I agree sorrel has the same tendency to make your teeth squeak but the flavour is altogether more citrussy and very agreeable.

splodger

Spring Greens
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 00:01 »
i don't eat netles myself (i am far too sensitive for that - but all other green tops, especially at this time of year - i'd have a go at - gotta be good for roughage  :wink:

mashauk

Spring Greens
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 00:08 »
i don't eat netles myself (i am far too sensitive for that - but all other green tops, especially at this time of year - i'd have a go at - gotta be good for roughage  :wink:

What about the leaves, or do you only eat the tops?

xx
Spring greens

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 22:01
by agapanthus
xx
Spring greens ??

Started by belto on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 15:22
by agapanthus
xx
Spring greens

Started by seaside on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 19:35
by seaside
xx
spring greens

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 18:36
by muntjac

Page created in 0.692 seconds with 28 queries.