Bubbly Eye

• 4 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
Bubbly Eye
« on: August 11, 2016, 19:38 »
Just noticed a bubbly eye on my 5 1/2 year old Buff Orpington. She has a lot of feathers missing round her neck and my husband saw the bossy chicken pecking the feathers off her neck just now, it was when i went to check on her that I noticed her eye. I have read all about the respiratory infections and at present she has no other signs. Is it at all possible that she could have been pecked in the eye when the other one went for her feathers. I am just clutching at straws here hoping to convince myself its nothing.
Do you only get the antibiotics from the vet?
I would appreciate your thoughts.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Bubbly Eye
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 20:40 »
It could be because of a peck, but keep a really close eye on her as respiratory infections can progress very fast, even more so if a hen is being stressed out by a bully hen pecking her feathers out. 

They also spread, so you might be risking the rest of your birds.  I not trying to worry you, just making you aware of the possibility.

You will need a vet for antibiotics.  Some online retailers do sell them, but you need a vet's prescription to order them. 

If you have a feather pecker, you could try a beak ring on her.  These stop a hen closing her beak enough to grab a feather  :)

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 21:28 »
No that's ok I have read about the disease today, guess I'm grasping onto the thought it could be something else. She's getting old and is sleeping in the nest box tonight, I noticed she was pulling straw around her. I can seperate her in the day as the others will free range but night is a problem, I only have one coop, she doesn't lay now so should i put her in a box on straw and bring her indoors or just wait to see what she looks like in the morning. I washed her eye and it looks the colour of adult glaucoma, but not bubbling anymore. Her breathing seems fine.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 11:01 »
Hope your hen is OK this morning  :)

Older hens do tend to sleep in nest boxes or on the floor of the coop.  If she is happy there and still eating, drinking and pottering about, I would just leave her.  I have had hens go on until 10 years old and while they slow down and spend more time resting and sleeping, they still have a good quality of life.

It does sound like she may have had a peck, but just keep an eye on things.  If a hen is unwell, sometimes the others can turn on her to drive her away.  A self preservation instinct kicks in.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 19:50 »
How is she getting on?
I've one with a slightly foamy eye. I suspect her 3rd eyelid doesn't work as well as it should because she often ends up with foreign bodies in that eye. I check her every day now, and wash out with eye drops when necessary. Worse was a piece of corn that got stuck under the inner eyelid. Thankfully managed to manoeuvre it out.

xx
bubbly eyes

Started by caseyplume on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 19:53
by Jeff Glanrhyd
xx
bubbly eyes

Started by bood77 on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post March 07, 2012, 05:58
by bood77
xx
Bubbly eyes and chesty :(

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 16:25
by Foxy
xx
Bubbly sounding chicken

Started by Draindragon on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 09:59
by newatthis

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 29 queries.