Pot grown spuds

• 13 Replies

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
Pot grown spuds
« on: August 08, 2016, 21:49 »
This year I've grown all my potatoes in 55L tubs, using verve mpc and a general potato fertilizer (once). I've just started emptying the first of the earlies, Rattes, and I'm averaging about 200 spuds per pot. I don't know if anyone on here has tried this method, but I'm delighted with these results. I also have Kestrel, King Edward, Desiree, Harlequin and Sarpo Mira to follow. I'll post how they get on, going by weight rather than numbers. The Rattes, by the way, taste delicious. :D

snow white

Re: Pot grown spuds
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 08:18 »
Good on you.  I try every year and I get a really poor result.  Its costs more to grow them than to buy them. :mellow:

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 15:23 »
How many seed potatoes do you put in each tub?

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 15:37 »
Did the same as you this year, but in 30 litre pots half sunk into the ground. Results are wonderful!! So much so that we're eating spuds every day as I don't have much room to store them (forgot about that part of it lol). Tried varieties like Ratte in the ground before and results were disappointing. Best varieties from the pots this year are Charlotte, Nadine, Aura and Jazzy. Will be using this method from now on as no slug damage and less scab (though Nadine and Ratte still got some).

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 19:37 »
How many seed potatoes do you put in each tub?

I used 3 seeds per pot, so I'm getting between 60 and 70 spuds per seed which I think is phenomenal.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 13:47 »
That's amazing!  :ohmy:

I grew some in Mossisons flower buckets last year (1 per pot) and they did really well.  Had to get my son to lift them out for me (so I could pick out the biggest), and then left them to grow on.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Willow_Warren

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 16:18 »
Last year I did well with potatoes in pots, really thought I'd mastered it (lots of fertiliser), this year I've had poor results (good job I like pasta!)

:D

hamstergbert

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 17:06 »
Back when I could I used to grow them like AuntieMogs (although Sister Mogs in HGB's family) in Morrisons flower buckets of MPC, one per tub. I did however use mostly the sprouted smallest ones from bought in spuds rather than actual seed potatoes (cheapskate).
Had some remarkable yields and as they were in MPC they were amazingly clean as no slugs, wiries etc.  just a rinse and ten minute boil for perfection.
With the pots lined up near the back door but sheltered from worst of the wind it was easy to use the waste water when running to get hot etc to keep them watered, and harvesting generally consisted of emptying a complete pot into a canvas thing, picking out the spuds and then chucking the remaining MPC into empty beds.
Overlooked a couple of tubs one year and found them in December and they were still perfect!

When circumstances change I intend to start doing it again next year.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 20:54 »
This year I've grown all my potatoes in 55L tubs, using verve mpc and a general potato fertilizer (once). I've just started emptying the first of the earlies, Rattes, and I'm averaging about 200 spuds per pot. I don't know if anyone on here has tried this method, but I'm delighted with these results. I also have Kestrel, King Edward, Desiree, Harlequin and Sarpo Mira to follow. I'll post how they get on, going by weight rather than numbers. The Rattes, by the way, taste delicious. :D
Turned out the first of my King Edwards today, I managed 3.7kg from the first tub which I think  is very good. I have more tubs of this variety but all the tops have died back so I think that's it as far as growth is concerned. All the other varieties, especially the Sarpo Mira, are still growing strong so I'll leave them alone.

snow white

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 13:19 »
Which compost have you found to be the best and which fertilizer.  I must be doing something wrong as mine tend to be dismal.

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 21:04 »
Which compost have you found to be the best and which fertilizer.  I must be doing something wrong as mine tend to be dismal.

I used Verve mpc for all the potatoes along with a handful of Westland organic chicken pellets at planting time and then a further handful as a top dressing when the tubs were full. They were all kept very well watered, usually twice a day. Apart from that, they were left to their own devices, the slugs did a little damage to the leaves, but the spuds were all fine. Good luck for any further attempts.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 21:54 »
In pot-grown spuds, watering is probably the most important single thing that you can do to make a difference to yields.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 14:39 »

Used a mixture of multi-purpose compost and some Jacks Magic compost, with a big handful of rotted manure and some Vitax potato fertiliser pellets. Will give Verve a go next year as it gets good reviews on here. Watering important, I part sink my pots in the ground as that helps keep the moisture in longer.

snow white

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 15:42 »
Will try again next year.  :)

xx
spuds grown in tubs

Started by clifford149 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 20:08
by shaun
xx
Has anyone grown New spuds for Christmas day?

Started by liz from the fizz on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 16, 2007, 21:40
by David.
xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty

Page created in 1.858 seconds with 30 queries.