Planting out

• 5 Replies

Jackypam

Planting out
« on: May 16, 2016, 22:45 »
Have left out brassicas, beans, peas, and flowers for pots from the greenhouse outside under cloches to begin hardening off. Weather forecast for Surrey has lows of above 10 degrees overnight and reasonably warmish and damp for the next week.  I'm considering planting them all out. What do you reckon?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Planting out
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 22:53 »
If it is over 10 degC at night I'd go for it. Just keep an eye on the forecast for the next couple of weeks in case of a temperature dip and be ready with that ole fleece if needed
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 12:49 »
My peas have been out for 5-6 weeks now and are only protected for the first few days, even during the frosty period a few weeks back they were fine unprotected and are now flowering!
Same with the Brassicas.

Beans are not out yet as I never sow them till May. They then get planted out before the bigger leaves develop as this give them a chance to acclimatise.

Jackypam

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 19:14 »
Bit late for that glen- my beans are huge. I think I'll plant them out and put a seed beside each as an insurance, or you could call it succession planting!  The cucs and toms are out in the greenhouse.  I'll pop out half the brassicas I think to make more room, and fleece them if it's cold overnight sunshine. 
Thanks for the advice

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 21:58 »
Bit late for that glen- my beans are huge. I think I'll plant them out and put a seed beside each as an insurance, or you could call it succession planting!  The cucs and toms are out in the greenhouse.  I'll pop out half the brassicas I think to make more room, and fleece them if it's cold overnight sunshine. 
Thanks for the advice

Same for me with the beans, they are nearly two foot high ! Every year I say I won't sow them until May, but always do it in April  :nowink:
I can't leave them any longer in their pots so am going to have to take a risk this weekend. :unsure:

Jackypam

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 21:07 »
Done it. They're out. Fingers crossed.  The courgettes are flowering so they are out too.  But under cloches at night.

xx
Planting Out

Started by AnnJohnston on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
DD - when is pea planting day?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 21:21
by wozza
xx
planting out

Started by thatruddyvicar on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 21:35
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Planting Out Tom's

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 15:26
by stompy

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 30 queries.