• 6 Replies

m1ckz

jersey royal
« on: March 24, 2016, 15:31 »
i put a row of international kidney in today,,,,
any one know what these taste like grown in england

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: jersey royal
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 15:43 »
Grew them once. Enough said.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 16:28 »
oh well    thanx .DD now what shall i do next year    lol

lettice

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 16:40 »
I grew IK last year for the first time and this is what I said on here in Feb 2015;

I'm also trying IK this year, talking with a few down my way that have been growing them for many years and the tasting/look I was left impressed.
To achieve the 'Jersey Royal clone' its all about growing them last week of Feb or first week of March, and letting them grow for exactly 12 weeks.
To achieve the 'Jersey Royal clone' its all about growing them last week of Feb or first week of March, and letting them grow for exactly 12 weeks.
They have had more success growing them in bags, which is what I do anyway for my 1st and 2nd earlies.
They soak the soil for a month before with a seaweed tea, tons of seaweed a walk away from me.
They said we have similar weather conditions here. This variety cares more than other varieties about that.
Locals further up the road had a more clay soil, and they end up with a maincrop look/taste no matter what they tried. So seems our soil is ideal also.

I grew mine from end Feb to early March with seaweed as above, they tasted and looked just like Jersey Royals.
But the ones I grew in pots from mid to end March were more like an average 2nd early and the later ones were small maincrops. Not sure if that was the pots rather than bags or just too late.
So this year I've had mine in bags since late feb to mid march and counting those weeks exactly. Yum!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 16:45 by lettice »

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 20:19 »
they tasted good but nothing out the way, very susceptible to blight and yields not brilliant.
saxon or nadine are a better 2nd early, im trying athlete this year, report in the summer .

ptarmigan

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 08:07 »
Similar story here, roasted lovely because they were fresh fun up new potatoes, what's not to like? But nothing special.  Charlottes fo well for me and are tasty. Lots of seaweed mulch...

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 22:04 »
I planted International Kidney last year. Collected washed up seaweed and mulched the beds in the autumn with high hopes...and I think it was the high hopes that made them a disappointment. They would have probably have been ok if I hadn't been expecting them to taste like the Jersey Royals of yester year.

xx
The nearest to a Jersey Royal

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2008, 16:54
by tallulah
xx
jersey royals

Started by sam51 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 11, 2019, 20:21
by Mr Dog
xx
Jersey Royals

Started by ranat22 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 19, 2012, 16:37
by DD.
xx
Jersey Bean

Started by Muls on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 01, 2014, 12:10
by Muls

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 30 queries.