parsnips

• 20 Replies

Snoop

Re: parsnips
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 17:54 »
Definitely use newspaper pots. They work really well. The commercial compostable pots don't break down fast enough for parsnips. Use jiffy pots or the like and you'll end up with all nippers and no parses.

Alifink

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 12:35 »
Last year I sowed when the seed packet suggested and got hardly any germination, sowed again in May and got lots of wonderful parsnips for Christmas.

One other thing regarding germination, Parsnip seeds don't keep very well so I buy new seed each year and check when the seeds were packed.

Trikidiki

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 20:39 »
Try putting strips of pallet wood along the rows on top of the 'station sown' seeds. The wood stops the compost drying out. You must check every day and remove the wood as soon as the parsnips show. As a lot of weed seeds emerge before the parsnips, these receive no light so wither before the parsnips emerge, therefore less weeding in close proximity to your 'snips'.

harry

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 08:07 »
I started this topic at the beginning of the year and followed suggestions from other members. At last agood crop of parsnips :D ::) ::)
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

arh

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 16:26 »
Thank you for the update, it just proves the old adage of many minds sort the problem.arh :)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 14:47 »
One more thing to add - this year I allowed a couple of plants (on the end of the row out of the way) to go to seed, now I have unlimited free seed for myself and fellow plotholders - instead of paying for 2000 odd seeds of which I will sow about 20 and throw the rest away! Will definitely do the same again next year.

Re. the pre-chitting - I don't think there is too much rush to plant out the chitted seeds - you can leave the shoots to get quite long before planting, if you can't plant them out straight away.
Rachael

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips

Started by green jack on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 22:14
by Totty
xx
parsnips

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 19:36
by Axe Victim
xx
parsnips

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 22:18
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 30 queries.