parsnips

• 17 Replies

chrissie B

parsnips
« on: February 25, 2009, 18:43 »
yes i know your thinking its a bit early but what i want is the name of a tried and tested seeds with a good to high sucesse rate please , tryed couple of times but nothing happend also any hints wouldnt go a miss
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Celery

• Experienced Member
Re: parsnips
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 18:54 »
I used tender and true last year, and the way I sow them is out a line across the area to be sown.I them go down the line very lighty with a fork.I then go down the line putting one seed in every other hole.
                                              Celery

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 19:25 »
ChrissyB,

I used White Gem last year and they were very successful. I'm trying Tender and True this year, because with parsnips you have to buy fresh seed. So i figured if i'm buying more i may as well try something new.

Try germinating them on damp kitchen paper and keep in a warm spot. once you see which seed is beginning to show sign of growth, put them in a 'Ritchies Paper Pot' and then when they are seedlings put them into your soil.  Make a deep hole with the end of a brush handle, fill with compost and put them in, paper pot and all.

For me sowing direct into soil rarely works. It's a bit of work, but next Sunday will be the last of my parsnips and we've been eating them for months.  :D
Liv.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 20:27 »
I used hollow crown and tender and true and both did OK, some were forked but that isnt the seeds fault  :blush:

Still got the more unusual shapes in my freezer  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

SkipRat

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 21:48 »
I,m also sowing Tender and True, I sow them in toilet rolls in the green house then simply plant the toilet roll complete with seedling where they are to live.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

chrissie B

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 13:11 »
thanks guys , it seems to be tender and true that get the vote so i will look out for them . :) :) :)
chrissie b

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 15:36 »
I have chitted last years remaining seeds (Countess) on damp kitchen roll in the airing cupboard. Despite being a year old the germination rate was high. Seedlings were transferred on Sunday into Richy's paper pots and moved into the shed. I'll pop 'em in the groung when the weather's more settled and whn they are strong plants. I'm hoping this will be more predictable thatn the patchy results I had from in situ sowing last year
If you can't be an excellent example be a terrible warning...

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 17:27 »
The March issue of Gardeners' World mentions making a shallow groove in the soil and putting potting compost in, pat it down then station sow seeds and cover with a shallow layer of more compost. Sowing direct into the soil gave poorer germination results. Think I'll give it a try this year as I didn't grow any last year due to buying a bag of onions from Robinson's that had more sets in than it should have and I had no room for anything else in my raised bed! I also heard about making a deepish hole about 6" diameter and filling it with potting compost then sowing in that. Maybe I'll try both methods and see what works best.  8)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Bombers

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 19:24 »
Sowing direct into the soil gave poorer germination results.
Put 3-4 seeds in each hole, then thin out the weekest.
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 20:58 »
It's finally been dry enough for me to clear the autumn/winter weed growth out of the bed for the parsnips.  How long will they take to be ready to plant out if I chit them now then put them into paper pots?  (ie how long do I have to hoe off all the germinating weeds I've uncovered digging?)

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 23:46 »
I worry about starting either parsnips or carrots in modules. If the root reaches the bottom before you have a chance to plant them out the root is unlikely to develop a straight root beyond this level. Both of these plants send roots down deep for moisture and nutrients.

I plant directly in the ground when the ground is warmed up. Usually end of March in East Anglia. Try and plant when there is not going to be heavy rain for a day or two and do not water. I have noticed that heavy rain immediately after sowing most crops often means disaster but does not matter once seed has been in the ground a day or two. Make a shallow furrow and, if the soil is dry, dribble water along it with a can. Place the seeds along the furrow and gently push them into the soil so that they have good contact. Use the whole packet as there is no point in saving any. I then also sow radishes very thinly, they come up first and mark the row, usually also giving a bonus crop. Pull the dry soil over the seeds and then use the back of a rake along the row to lightly tamp down the soil. Once the plants have their first leaf thin them to 2 inches. Once they are safely established thin to 4 inches.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 23:54 by Salmo »

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 01:02 »
Striepy,
Mine took only about a week to sprout. I then put them in paper pots when they were tiddlers. I cannot imagine they will deform at that stage. I am , however, new to this technique so time will tell BUT I got the idea from someone on this site who reported very good results.
Ian x

chrissie B

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 10:52 »
well my problem is heat and when to start them off , how long does it take for a parsnip to get to a reasonable size mainly wanting them for Christmas .i can get the seedswhen in uk may time so im hoping there will be plenty of time to get them started .
chrissie b

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 11:17 »
I never had any succes with parsnips :( but try them like swede sow end aug in the garage/shade plant out in shade if you have it once couple of inches high and harvest in spring. Freeze for use in the next winter.
 Never could grow them through hottest part of year.
To get parsnip for this coming Christmas i would take some back with you and freeze that's what i always did 8)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 20:45 »
I have always sowed my parsnips straight into the ground in early April and they are ready come October or November.  I'm just digging the last few out of the ground now (canker has unfortunately hit so need to cut those bits out before cooking) but I really do think that it's not worth the time and effort making paper pots for parsnips. 

If you wait till the soil is warm enough the seeds will do their thing without any extra help (famous last words for this year's crop, of course  :D)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 30, 2017, 19:59
by Mr Dog
xx
parsnips

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 11:02
by DD.
xx
parsnips

Started by bridgeford on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 11:46
by DD.

Page created in 0.911 seconds with 38 queries.