Soaking pea seed in paraffin to deter mice

• 11 Replies

bigdavenorcott

Soaking pea seed in paraffin to deter mice
« on: February 27, 2016, 08:01 »
The last two years I've had my peas eaten in the ground before they've even had chance to sprout - literally one or two surviving out of several hundred.

Googling comes up with a lot of 'my grandad used to soak peas in paraffin for 24 hours and that puts the mice off' type posts, but I haven't found any more up to date info from people who actually do it.

To remedy that I'm going to try to investigate this semi-scientifically this year!

My first concern is whether doing this would affect germination, so that's what I'm checking first.

bigdavenorcott

Re: Soaking pea seed in paraffin to deter mice
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 08:19 »
I took two groups of 3 pea seeds (Exzellenz), soaked one group for 24 hours in paraffin (actually Kerosene / heating oil, but chemically more or less identical), and left the other group untouched as a control.

There's no missing why this might put mice off eating the peas - it stinks.

I then set both groups of seed up semi-submerged on cotton wool as in the pics (my kids did the labels!)
2016-02-27 08.18.54.jpg
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 08:21 by bigdavenorcott »

bigdavenorcott

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 08:27 »
The first thing i noticed - which alarmed me somewhat - was that the soaked peas were bleached to a pale brown, with all the green gone

bigdavenorcott

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 08:31 »
Day 2: both sets are plumping up nicely and absorbing water. I *had* worried that the paraffin would effectively waterproof the seeds, but that seems to have been unfounded.
2016-02-27 08.28.59.jpg

bigdavenorcott

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 08:34 »
Day 3: both sets good and swollen
2016-02-27 08.33.43.jpg

bigdavenorcott

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 08:45 »
Day 4: SPROUTING! Both sets have one pea starting to sprout. Looking promising
2016-02-27 08.40.22.jpg
2016-02-27 08.40.49.jpg

bigdavenorcott

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 09:29 »
Still a good whiff of hydrocarbons off the soaked ones too - it'd definitely put *me* off eating them. Let's hope mice are similarly discouraged.

This is up to date now - will report back with progress on sprouting, and then on mouse damage results when I plant my real crop out.

bigdavenorcott

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 10:05 »
Day 5: Two sprouters in the paraffin camp vs one (enthusiastic) one in the control group
Day 5.jpg

bigdavenorcott

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 10:10 »
Day 6: all the paraffin group are now sprouting - still only one in the control group so far.

This is far too small a sample size to say whether the paraffin soaking actually improves germination, but I think we can be satisfied that it's certainly not hindering it!

I'll do another update in a day or two, but this is enough for me to go ahead and soak my actual seeds before sowing, which I'm planning to do Wednesday (2nd March). If I can bear it I'll plant a 'control' crop of unsoaked seeds too, although I know from bitter experience that these will be eaten within days.
Day 6.jpg

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 20:13 »
Thanks for doing this experiment.  I may give it a try on my plot.   :)
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 23:15 »
Day 6: all the paraffin group are now sprouting - still only one in the control group so far.

This is far too small a sample size to say whether the paraffin soaking actually improves germination, but I think we can be satisfied that it's certainly not hindering it!

I'll do another update in a day or two, but this is enough for me to go ahead and soak my actual seeds before sowing, which I'm planning to do Wednesday (2nd March). If I can bear it I'll plant a 'control' crop of unsoaked seeds too, although I know from bitter experience that these will be eaten within days.

Early peas and beans are often eaten by mice. According to some work a few years ago once the weather warms up mice are more interested in procreation than eating and leave them alone. You must admire them the way they will go along the row just digging a neat hole where each seed is. They probably find them by smell but it could be worth planting them at irregular intervals to fool them. Perhaps that should be your next experiment?

bigdavenorcott

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 08:28 »

This is far too smallr a sample size to say whether the paraffin soaking actually improves germination, but I think we can be satisfied that it's certainly not hindering it!

Early peas and beans are often eaten by mice. According to some work a few years ago once the weather warms up mice are more interested in procreation than eating and leave them alone. You must admire them the way they will go along the row just digging a neat hole where each seed is. They probably find them by smell but it could be worth planting them at irregular intervals to fool them. Perhaps that should be your next experiment?

To be honest if the paraffin works I'm not planning on further experimentation! I just want to be able to grow early peas, and there didn't seem to be anything convincing in the current literature to show whether paraffin soaking was a good or bad idea. I'm pretty sure they don't do it by measuring distance between peas though ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:55 by bigdavenorcott »

xx
Garlic to deter mice from bean seeds?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 10, 2014, 19:04
by sunshineband
xx
Paraffin peas broad beans and mice

Started by pipfit on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 23, 2018, 16:12
by pipfit
xx
Pre-soaking seed potatoes before planting

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post November 18, 2013, 21:21
by Trillium
xx
Mice, Spinach Seed, Eaten.

Started by francisgreen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2009, 19:20
by hindy

Page created in 1.678 seconds with 28 queries.