Pre-soaking seed potatoes before planting

• 20 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Pre-soaking seed potatoes before planting
« on: November 17, 2013, 11:40 »
Does anybody remember the idea, probably from the 1970's of soaking seed potatoes in a liquid fertilizer for a few days before planting. It was supposed to give bumper crops

I used to grow vegetables in my parents garden as a kid and watched Percy Thrower and Arthur Billitt, who mentioned this idea I think. Or maybe it was in 'Garden News' when it used to be a paper, rather than a magazine.

Goosegirl

Re: Pre-soaking seed potatoes before planting
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 13:23 »
Crumbs - never heard of this. One can never guarantee what crops you get because we all garden on different soils of different structures and nutritional values, plus the quality of the seed pots, site, weather etc makes a difference. If you think it is worth a go, then do it, but don't get hung up on it. I have stopped chitting mine and haven't found it a problem so far.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 14:19 »
Phew!  I agree with Goosegirl....

The idea that by tinkering with one thing, when the outcome depends on so many other things, is something which blights the gardening world.  I'd encourage everyone to read technical, scientific studies before believing anything that goes the rounds as 'knowledge'.

Even our scientific understanding is incomplete, which opens up the floodgates to speculation.  But to disregard what we already know, about how a potato grows, is to indulge in witchcraft, which then becomes 'wisdom', and then 'fact' and so it goes on.

Just my opinion.
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 14:20 »
Wouldn't it just encourage them to rot  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 14:33 »
Never heard of it myself, although if that's what some folk used to do then I suppose it must have worked (or at least didn't do any harm.  :unsure:)

Hard to think that a fresh seed spud would absorb much liquid fertiliser, but I suppose if it had been chitted for a long time and was quite dehydrated and wrinkly it could do, and maybe help get it off to a good start, although it would still need plenty of nutrients in the soil too.

With so many fungal diseases about which can affect spuds, especially blackleg this year, I'd be a bit wary of planting seed spuds which were already "soggy" though.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 16:34 »
First thing I thought of is that the seed potatoes would start to rot. No need to soak them because they're already 'damp' inside. I can see this idea with actual seeds, to stimulate sprouting, but not actual potatoes.

fatcat1955

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 19:29 »
I spray mine weekly with a dilute seaweed feed.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 19:38 »
 :D Fatcat, we're talking about how to pre-treat potatoes rather than keep them healthy during growing season.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 11:15 »
Why not try a little experiment and soak a few, label them when planting and see what difference, if any, there is.

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 12:24 »
'Cos to do so would be to add credibility to it Goosegirl!  And there's me thinking that you were on my side...  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 12:26 »
I'm all for experimenting, although in some cases I prefer it to be someone else's experiment!  :lol:

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 12:43 »
From which we learn that, in this case JayG, you're skeptikal too!

It's witchcraft!  We all know that!  For those who wish to conduct an experiment why not add eye of toad and tongue of newt as well!  Then it's bound to work!

It's necessary for me to point out that I set out to stamp out witchcraft wherever I find it.  I carry a ducking stool wherever I go.  This peculiar behaviour makes me odd, I know, I know....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 13:56 »
  I carry a ducking stool wherever I go.  This peculiar behaviour makes me odd, I know, I know....

I don't know about odd, but it will certainly give you a very bad back before too long  ::)

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 13:57 »
Do you mean a cucking stool, used to determine whether somone is a witch or a drowned innocent?   

On your other point, where can you buy eye of Toad and tongue of Lark nowadays?     Most of the shops that dispensed such have closed due to the recession/religion/prejudice etc.
Do you really need al that lettuce/

BabbyAnn

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 14:06 »
For those who wish to conduct an experiment why not add eye of toad and tongue of newt as well!  Then it's bound to work!

of course it will work - think of the extra nitrogen from the eye and tongue  :lol: (The Eye and Tongue ... sounds like a pub, sorry going wildly off topic)

Wouldn't it just encourage them to rot  :unsure:

First thing I thought of is that the seed potatoes would start to rot.

au contraire - I can't say too much for professional reasons, but where I work we are conducting experiments and actually grow potatoes using ... hydroponics  ;)   It's a fill and drain system where the water has all the nutrients, and the potatoes are planted in pots with an inert drain-able material.  One batch is for control and the other has (experimental) stuff added to it.  I should add that this is not a horticultural experiment so please don't get excited about it LOL

xx
planting seed potatoes

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 10:50
by DD.
xx
Seed Potatoes - Ok for planting?

Started by Kentishman2004 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 21, 2008, 22:14
by cawdor2001
xx
seed potatoes - best planting time?

Started by sachkrimbo on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 12:09
by mumofstig
xx
Saving seed potatoes for same year planting

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 22:46
by Totty

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 38 queries.