Starting onion sets in modules

• 7 Replies

stevekind

• Gardening is the new Rock'n'Roll
Starting onion sets in modules
« on: February 07, 2016, 00:09 »
I'm hoping to start onion and shallot sets in modules this year - not tried it before. Would appreciate advice on what size modules to use. I have a couple of large trays of 1 inch modules - but that seems a little small - especially for the shallots. Can anyone advise me on the best size to use?

Thanks in advance

Steve
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:19 by stevekind »

snowdrops

Re: Starting onion sets in modules
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 08:37 »
I've used the modules that are 24 to a full sized seed tray before. I did find that the roots pushed out at the bottom towards when I planted them out but I might have been late planting out. I wouldn't do them too soon though.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 09:18 »
I always start setts off in modules and seed trays in the cold greenhouse. I use old tomato compost mixed with rotted hos muck. It gives the roots a good start. Off to the lottie shop this morning to collect them.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 09:20 »
As many know, I believe in the no faff approach to gardening. Unless there is some reason why you can't them direct into the soil at due time, I can see no great advantage in starting in modules, effectively making you plant each set twice!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 15:39 »
As many know, I believe in the no faff approach to gardening. Unless there is some reason why you can't them direct into the soil at due time, I can see no great advantage in starting in modules, effectively making you plant each set twice!

I can go along with that - one year I planted in modules (simply because the bed wasn't ready to plant at the time)  One thing led to another and the growing sets were in the modules a little bit longer than they should have.  Result - roots grew out of the bottom of the modules, a pain to replant (so much quicker to plant the sets direct), growth was probably already stunted and disturbance didn't help and they didn't bulb up as well.  Last year I was late planting sets because of the weather (a long drawn out cold spring which caught me off guard) so it was early May before they went in - I was amazed the bulbs ended up fine and the usual mixed sizes I could expect if done on time.  To be fair there was air of panic when I realised how late it was, so I had soaked the sets in liquid seaweed solution for an hour before and had bunged a high nitrogen feed in the soil to give them a boost.

anchorman

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 13:01 »
I started Piroska reds, Sturton, and Stuttgart in modules of Jacks magic. Just the basic 24 cell type which fits a normal seed tray. Topper shallots, I put into 3in pots. As stated above a tray of compost under the modules is a good idea. With temps low in a cold greenhouse at the moment, it will be a while before any appreciable growth appears. When it does they will come on quickly the days lengthen.

oakridge

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 13:16 »
This morning I have been planting Stuttgarter Giant sets in 40 cell trays which I have done for Spring and over-Wintering onions for years.  I use home grown compost.  We have a feathered rat (pigeon) problem and planting them out when they have got going a bit does seem to stop the little varmints pulling them out of the ground.

One thing has changed, for the first time in my life - 73 years - I have washed previously used pots and trays in disinfectant.  The old boy who taught me did not believe in such unnecessary faffing about so I have never done it.  The only reason I have done it this time is because I bought a door kit for my green poly greenhouse and there was a complimentary can of Algon.

Eblana

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 14:17 »
I started Red Baron and some Garlic in Jacks Magic in case I lost the sets that were in the ground to flooding.  They have absolutely jumped up.  I am hoping to plant them out at the end of the month.

xx
Onion sets in modules

Started by ferret1988 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 25, 2013, 16:23
by mumofstig
xx
Onion sets in modules growing too quick!!

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 30, 2014, 18:33
by Yana
xx
starting off onion sets

Started by paul sadler on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2018, 08:11
by Mr Dog
xx
Starting onion sets off in pots

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 22:03
by DD.

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 29 queries.