What a difference an hour makes!

• 4 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
What a difference an hour makes!
« on: February 05, 2016, 13:56 »
I wish I had taken pictures but never mind!

When I moved here in July 14 I had such high hopes for myself and what I was going to grow and achieve. Sadly my ill health and personal problems really have taken over and my harvest last year was 1 raspberry and 2 tomatoes!

Anyhow at the front of my house I have a patch where I am hoping to place my potatoes but it is full of huge heathers there are 4 of them (I think) and they spread at least 12 feet across! Well last summer I cut half of one back and never returned to that job again until today!

I decided last night I was going to tackle it today well at least some of it! So I have been out and cut the remainder of the started bush back along with 2 more and I have removed the first bush from the ground woohoo! It amounts to at least 2 wheelie bin fulls!

I am now in loads of pain (I was expecting it with my condition) and am inside resting with a cup of lady grey!

Now my concern is I know I didn't do a brilliant job and have left some broken off roots in the ground. I plan on digging it over and removing as much as I can ready for my potatoes but will it be a huge problem if I don't get them all?

Many thanks x

Snoop

Re: What a difference an hour makes!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 16:50 »
fallen angel, I don't have the answer to your question, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear of your plight. Best wishes for the future and your potatoes.

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 21:30 »
Ahh bless you that's so kind. My health won't get better but may get worse and as for personal stuff it is all slowly resolving itself. I am determined to throw myself into growing my food as it will keep me focused and fed :-)

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 09:35 »
If it's just a few bits I don't think they will regrow so shouldn't affect the potatoes but what might is how poor the soil will most probably be as you describe the heathers as being so large. You will need to add plenty of manure & probably some extra fertiliser to feed your potatoes.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 17:19 »
I hadn't thought of that thank you I will get on to that asap :-)

xx
Growing your own makes you waste less

Started by Beetroot queen on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 13:57
by paintedlady
xx
whats the difference?

Started by tillytup on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post February 17, 2009, 17:37
by DIGGER

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 28 queries.