Treadle feeder

• 6 Replies

snow white

Treadle feeder
« on: January 11, 2016, 14:17 »
We have a problem with rats on the allotment.  To try to prevent this happening, I purchased a treadle feeder.  They are supposed to stop the rats getting to the food.  But even if they are too light to trigger the treadle, they can still just push the hinged lid up to get to the food.  There is nothing to prevent this happening.  So I am sending it back.  Has anyone had a treadle feeder that does not open like this and does it prevent the rodents.

8doubles

Re: Treadle feeder
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 14:39 »
Have you seen a rat push the lid up on the treadle feeder ?

IMO very unlikely as rats can be very shy of things resembling traps.

Squirrels on the other hand can be bold as brass !

The rats need to be controlled and a feeder will not do that.

snow white

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 15:19 »
I have a rat poison box down, but we are not very happy about this (me and other allotmenteers) as it can affect other wildlife if they eat the rat.  I have ordered some traps and hope to get them this way.  Unfortunately everyone is blaming us chicken owners and unless we can control the 6 or so rats on the site I get the feeling they will ban chickens.  Non chicken owners (and some chicken owners!) feel it is not up to them to help in any way as they are not the problem.  I am all for trying everything to get rid of the blighters and hope the traps will help. 

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 18:40 »
I have alway gone for traps rather than poison for rodent control. It is more time consuming but IMO the more eco friendly option.

Hen owners have for many years got the blame for any rats about . The fact that we grow crops, feed pets and wild birds and provide a warm dry enviroment for them when they move off the fields in autumn does not seem to register with people.

As mentioned before rats can be very trap shy. Baiting the traps but not setting them for a couple of weeks with a few free offerings scattered around can often lull them into a sense of security.
All the traps in the same area can also work better than catching one at a time in different locations.

Worth looking at a fenn trap in a tunnel for long term control without bait.
Best of luck !

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 09:17 »
There is a bait that does not poison other wildlife I think it is called Eradibait and I do not think it actually is a poison. Please do check though  :)

You have a legal right to keep hens although I appreciate this can be difficult on an allotment in terms of not wanting to fall out with folk.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:19 by Sassy »
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

snow white

Re: Treadle feeder update
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 20:22 »
Couldn't send it back as it was so expensive to post so I am trying it out.  The girls seem to be using it ok but one seems to fall asleep with her head in it.  ::)  They tend to rake a load of feed out so every night I have to shovel it all back inside.  Is this normal?

On the rat front.  For all the good most of the chicken owners have achieved with traps, poison and cleanliness, one owner has been leaving food lying around and now has about 20 rats in her compost heap and was waiting for the allotment association to sort it out for her.  I have spoken to her but the damage is now done and we are getting a professional in.  Unfortunately this has lead to bad feelings with non chicken owners and an irate plot owner ranting and raving at me about it being more of a farmyard than a garden.  If we can't get rid of the rats then the chickens will have to go.   :(   I love my chooks but this is rapidly becoming too much of a hassle. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 06:41 »
as has been said nobody can force you to get rid of your chickens because you have a legal right to keep them just so long as you practice good animal husbandry. The person who is not doing this though needs a stern warning from your committee if you have one or perhaps from your local council. Rats are inevitable regardless of if you keep chickens or not but we all have a duty to help prevent it.
Good luck with your feeder, I have been thinking about getting a couple of these so will be interested to see how you get on with yours.
As for feed being scattered mine do that too by digging their heads into their food and flicking it out in an attempt to get to the piece at the bottom that must be far tastier than the rest of the food  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Treadle feeder?

Started by mum23kids on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 23:21
by nerdle
xx
Treadle Feeder

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 01:58
by Lindeggs
xx
treadle feeder

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 16:09
by nerdle
xx
Can Ducks use a Treadle Feeder

Started by Colernehens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2013, 11:21
by joyfull

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 31 queries.