Treadle Feeder

• 3 Replies

mo-jo

Treadle Feeder
« on: July 28, 2011, 12:53 »
I have just invested in a treadle feeder, the reason being is I'm spending a fortune on feeding the wild bird population.  I put it in the chook run last night and they haven't been anywhere near it.  It's got a brick on the treadle so that they can see the food.

I've left them in the run today with only the open treadle feeder and nothing else in the hope that they will get hungry and eventually go to it.

Am I doing the right thing or should I leave a normal feed bowl in as well.  I don't want them to starve but not sure what to do to encourage them to use it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Springlands

Re: Treadle Feeder
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 12:58 »
We had the same problem and got a treadle feeder - it just took the hens a couple of days to get the general idea. Try sprinkling some food on the treadle and that will attract the chooks.

Unfortunately the local starlings have now discovered that if about six of them all stand on the treadle at the same time they can get to the goodies so we are nearly back to normal. Grrrrrrr.

mo-jo

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 13:08 »
Thanks Springlands.  I know I haven't given it time yet but I was just worried that they will go hungry.  I'm not going to let them free range tonight when I get in as they will fill up on grass then.  I will see how it goes.

I hope my starlings are thick then as I can't afford all the feed they are eating, lol.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 01:58 »
mo-jo I recently got a treadle feeder for the same reason - the local sparrows were eating me out of house and home.  It has taken more than a month to train my chickens to use the treadle feeder.  I don't think mine are any thicker than your average chicken, but it certainly took a lot of patience on my part.

The key is not feeding them on any other food except what is in the feeder.  They won't starve - they will just be highly motivated to get over their fears and eat out of the feeder.

I kept my feeder wide open for the first week, then for the second week positioned it so the lid would move when they stood on the treadle but the lid never completely closed.  Unfortunately this terrified them, so I went back a step and spent another week with a brick on the treadle so it didn't move, until they were confident with it again. 

After that I spent two more weeks with the treadle half-down but the food still exposed.  Finally they stopped showing any fear of the movement and noise.  At that point I closed the lid completely and they quickly learned to stand on the treadle to open it.

Good luck with yours.  It will take patience and determination on your part but it's worth it in the end.

xx
Treadle feeder?

Started by mum23kids on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 23:21
by nerdle
xx
Treadle feeder

Started by snow white on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2016, 06:41
by joyfull
xx
treadle feeder

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 16:09
by nerdle
xx
Can Ducks use a Treadle Feeder

Started by Colernehens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2013, 11:21
by joyfull

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 36 queries.