What I did on the plot today 2016

• 533 Replies

sweetpea84

• My diary of allotmenting in Gravesend
Re: What I did on the plot today 2016
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2016, 20:16 »
Cried a little inside at my newly erected pallet greenhouse frame that had been toppled by the gales  :( then set about picking up the roof which had been torn off by the wind. Thankfully I hadn't put the plastic sheeting on when we put it up on Friday so that's one thing I don't have to try and fix!

DANNY

« Reply #151 on: March 29, 2016, 00:00 »
Cried a little inside at my newly erected pallet greenhouse frame that had been toppled by the gales  :( then set about picking up the roof which had been torn off by the wind. Thankfully I hadn't put the plastic sheeting on when we put it up on Friday so that's one thing I don't have to try and fix!

My heart went out with you ref the wind and the pallet greenhouse,
I walk my dogs past the future allotment, its only 5 mins from our home and deep in the countryside so the only sign of life i see is the bull in the field behind ours.
Ive plenty of work to do to get this into shape but every time i get the strimmer out and spend hours tackling the bramble's i feel really good to see the space they've taken up,
Its amazing how big a piece of ground is once its cleared,
Ive big plans for this piece of land and every time im looking at it i can see how its going to be in the future. ::)
KEEN GARDENER ENJOYS ALL ASPECS OF THE COUNTRYSIDE

Njlongden72

« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2016, 14:48 »
Planted 4 rows of beetroot that I'd set off in the propagator. Detroit Crimson, Golden Globe, Bolthardy and Chiagogia or however it's spelt

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2016, 17:05 »
Forked over the bean trenches and covered a path with plastic, then it started spitting with rain  :(

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2016, 20:22 »
Spent a gloriously sunny, warm morning digging over an area of raised bed no.1 to plant my broad beans. I planted a couple of rows of beans and then needed to go down to the house to cook lunch. I looked at my gardening tools... should I take them down too? I looked at the blue, blue sky... naaah. Nevertheless, I popped the packet of seeds in my pocket - can't be too careful. During lunch we had a hailstorm...  :ohmy:
Finished planting the rest of the beans later, when the sun emerged.

Beekissed

« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2016, 03:16 »
Planted 4 dwarf apple trees near the garden.  Worked on building my top bar hive, trying to get it ready to bait in a swarm.  Checked the sweet onions I had direct sown in the garden for signs of germination....found it.  Little sprouts underneath that soil, not yet poked through.  Garlic, strawberries and potatoes looking good there. 

Will finally try to get seeds into seed trays tomorrow...about 2 wks behind now. 

grendel

Re: Re: What I did on the plot today 2016
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2016, 12:37 »
I envy all of you who can get down the plot during the week - I sit here at work looking out the window, thinking about what I can do at the plot this coming weekend - only to have it rain all weekend.
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2016, 16:35 »
Take early retirement, Grendel, take early retirement (I did it in my forties).  ;)

grendel

« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2016, 19:36 »
I tried that when I was 51, though it paid off the mortgage, I couldnt manage on the income from just the pension to keep 3 of us (wife and daughter who was at uni), and because of the pension was not eligable for any benifits, so after trying a zero hours contract (doesnt work when they give you 1 hours work in 3v months) I had to go out and find a new job, where I am now very happy.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2016, 13:06 »
I tried that when I was 51, though it paid off the mortgage, I couldnt manage on the income from just the pension to keep 3 of us (wife and daughter who was at uni), and because of the pension was not eligable for any benifits, so after trying a zero hours contract (doesnt work when they give you 1 hours work in 3v months) I had to go out and find a new job, where I am now very happy.

Yes, well, my comment was tongue in cheek really. It's not always possible to take early retirement when you have dependants, is it? Anyway, good to know you're happy in your job.

DANNY

« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2016, 23:11 »
Well the weathers been a bit chilly one minute and then the sun tries to come out the next,
So no other place to be "the greenhouse"
And i continued to sow another 20 trays of the taget seeds ive saved from last years plants plus sown 20 plastic pots of the sweet peas ive soaked last night (they've now shown signs of life) Im hoping to have a really good show of the tagets all around the borders this summer,

They are a really good hard and long lasting plant and the bugs (white fly etc) dont go near them.)

So thats been my afternoons gardening and of cause the daily walk around looking to see whats knew,

The ribes are in bud and the rhubarbs just showing through, most of the fruit trees in the orchard are again in bud and when we get a few warmer and sunny days im expecting the blossom to show, (now thats a really lovely site to see)
As far as flowers for the inside of the house we've plenty of verious daffs,

Im keeping the geraniums warm in the greenhouse and they're starting to show signs of growth and i should get a few cuttings of each plant in time for starting off the verious troughs and hanging baskets.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2016, 07:08 »
Am going to go and attempt digging up my apple, which is in the wrong place. I need to bareroot it too, just to make sure that the horsetail in that bed doesn't travel with it. Wish me luck!  :nowink:

Robster

« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2016, 07:37 »
I put in my second early potatoes, a variety called Athlete.  A blight resistant variety.  Planted out savoy and round cabbages.  I forked over the manure that has laid in my main crop potato bed.  They will be going in in a week or two.  Compost mulched around the rhubarb.  Weeded and growmore'd the autumn sown broad beans.

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2016, 12:52 »
On Thursday I planted out my Mangetout (green and red) under bottles and cloches - they'd all been grown in rootrainers. Planted strawberries in my fruit cage, planted blackberry no 3 and pruned my redcurrants and blackcurrants. This pruning led to four branches that had been on the ground and taken root being replanted elsewhere. Huge fire made of my old fence which has been replaced.. Didn't burn myself this time but singed my hair instead!!
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2016, 13:37 »
Lovely weather here in Hampshire yesterday.
Turned over my potato bed sprinkled some fertiliser ready to plant in a couple of weeks.
Sowed some peas in a covered raised bed. Hope they aren't just food for the mice🙈🙈🙈
Cheers HH
Keep digging

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2014

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

1611 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 21:59
by Aidy

Page created in 1.133 seconds with 31 queries.