Contingencies for flooded plots

• 3 Replies

Eblana

Contingencies for flooded plots
« on: December 30, 2015, 14:17 »
I went up to the plot on Tuesday and it is very flooded.  I wasn't sure what to do (apart from knowing not to walk on the soil),  I managed to get most of my glads and lilies out of the bed which was under a couple of inches of water.  They look ok but I left them in the PT to dry out a little should I pot them up or should I just put some loose old compost around the and store them until the bed dries out?

The bed with the Over wintering onions and Garlic in was wet but not flooded yet but with the additional rain due I would expect it be the next one to go.  If it does flood should I remove them (I have just planted some I had left over in modules as a standby.

One of the back beds which is very badly flooded had a green algae on top of the water has anyone any idea what I need to do with this?  What should I do when the flooding subsides?

syks grower

Re: Contingencies for flooded plots
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 20:17 »
If the flooding is short term i would leave things and just keep off the plot.
You seem to have moved all the at risk bulbs.
I would leave the onions and garlic, I think trying to move them will cause more harm than the water.
It sounds like it's just excessive rain that's caused your plot to flood and not an overflowing river or stream, this is far better because no toxic residues will be in your soil.
In the spring when the soil dries out I would fork the bed over and use the algae has a green manure. The soil will have a lot of the nutrients leached out so you will need to give extra feed to your soil.
My old plot flooded for 3 years running and I kept OFF the soil until it dried out and everything did ok.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 12:13 »
Good advice there from SG  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 20:39 »
think it will be fine come spring. and preferred to plant my sweet corn in these areas thinking they mighy get extra watering?

I recon coach grass roots are weaker in these corners, so easy to clear the patch and just to add extra compost or any to improve the drainage.

xx
Flooded Allotment

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2009, 13:59
by woodburner
xx
Help - Allotment flooded!

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 07:27
by sunshineband
xx
Allotment flooded- disater!

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 17:53
by jonewer
question
flooded Plot With pictures 27 Feb 10

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 17:23
by HugglescoteGrower

Page created in 0.735 seconds with 28 queries.