Up to now I've always been a bamboo man...

• 8 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Up to now I've always been a bamboo man...
« on: December 08, 2015, 14:13 »
But I'm thinking of going with string after quite a few of my old and tired bamboo broke off at ground level. 
So next year I'm going for string.  Have you figured out what I'm jabbering on about?  Tomatoe plants in the greenhouse, if anyone has any hints or tips, do's and don't do's please let me know.   ;) ;) ;)Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Up to now I've always been a bamboo man...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 14:20 »
I have canes suspended on S-rings from the greenhouse roof. I tie polytwine to them and bury the ends under the tomato plants. The plants are twisted around the twine as they grow - works perfectly as long as I don't use garden string, which sags and breaks easily.

Next year the tomatoes are going at the back of the beds so I can put peppers in front. With another cane at the lower eaves I should be able to bend the tomatoes along the roof profile.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 16:08 »
I use cotton string so it can be compost at the end of the season. Make sure when you tie it at the top you can undo so you can tighten if needs be or let out some more to rebury (occasionally the bottom rots before the plants establish)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 19:05 »
Don't use that hessian twine - in my experience it can biodegrade too quickly ... !
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 10:40 »
String is my usual method. It needs to be strong because there is a huge weight on it.  I use polypropylene twine - but reuse it it year to year.

I use a 1" dia horizontal pole along the length of the g/h to tie the vertical strings too.  Mainly because I had one anyway, and also it goes on year to year.

It it easier to wind the growing toms around the string, not the wind the string around the toms. But the string gradually get tighter until, maybe once twice in the season, I untie the top and slacken it off by an inch or two.

I just drop 12" of twine at bottom end of the twine into the planting hole and plonk the plant on top.

I am experimenting with the commercial idea where you regularly untie the string at the top and lay the plant down so it continues to grow up the string, until the whole plant is 20 foot long.  My g/h is way too small for this so it isn't working.  But it is very useful to be able to simply re-position the growing plants as if they were vines.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 11:04 »
I have some galv wire running the length of the roof, and drop a vertical poly twine down at each station, I either tie these to the rim of the pots of push them into the beds wrapped around weed membrane pegs. I then use the tomato clips I bought a few years ago.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=114309.0

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 17:44 »
Many thanks for all your intellegent answers.  Cheers,   Tony.

Chrysalis

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 21:05 »
Great question, Tony!
Thanks for all the answers, too.  I shall be trying this myself! :nowink:

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 09:29 »
As for hanging the toms on twine from the roof of the greenhouse, depending on the make of GH, you can get these little clips which fit into the grooves, and then we have long wires going the length of the roof tied to these clips, from which we dangle the toms!

It's worked for twenty years, so I suppose that's a result...

Also, just outside the greenhouse, we make small 's' hooks which fit onto the edge of the gutter, and that gives us another row for toms in pots if we want them!

xx
bamboo

Started by p00rstudent on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 19:31
by peapod
xx
which bamboo?

Started by CornishCol on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 26, 2012, 21:39
by devongardener
xx
Bamboo Leaves

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 13:27
by Rangerkris
xx
Bamboo canes

Started by Fruity on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 18:39
by Kristen

Page created in 0.625 seconds with 28 queries.