storing green tomatoes

• 6 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
storing green tomatoes
« on: September 26, 2015, 21:29 »
I have tons of green tomatoes. I did store some in trays in a wardrobe and they went red last year. I read on the internet you should wash them first. Do others wash them or wash them when they are ripe. Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: storing green tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 21:58 »
I don't wash mine, before storing, I think you risk spreading any infection from one fruit to another.

Headgardener22

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 05:13 »
I don't wash them either. I think that all fruit shuld be handled as little as possible before storing, every time you handle it, you risk bruising it which will reduce storage time.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 07:59 »
I cleared my greenhouse not long ago.  There was no blight in there, but I did wash the tomatoes gently under running water and let them air dry on a cloth, just in case.  I always do wash mine as they come in, ripe or not.

They are sitting on two trough trays on a windowsill and ripening up steadily one by one.

I suspect you will get a split of opinion on this Chickpeacurry.  Maybe wash some and leave some and see what works best for you  :)

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 16:35 »
I've chopped and frozen mine in one pound bags - all ready for when I feel a chutney coming on!   :)
Carpe Diem

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 22:23 »
How long do they keep in storage?  By storage I mean not freezing.

Have managed to grow this year after several less than successful years. Several pounds still on the plants at various stages of ripeness.

Must admit when letting the hens out and checking the greenhouse have been known to have a munch straight from the plant , delicious! and a nice way to start the day.

Have also placed an order with Mrs Tenhens for some tomato chutney!!
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 10:00 »
Unless you've been spraying them with chemicals there is no need to wash them unless you dropped them in the dirt (happening increasingly with my remaining ripening Inca plum toms - I think the cold is loosening their attachment to the plants.)

If you do wash them make sure they are dry before putting in trays to ripen, especially if they are in more than a single layer, which helps ripening but does mean you have to check them more carefully.

Experience helps judge which will ripen successfully off the plant - if they show no signs of changing from dark to lighter green or yellow they probably won't, especially if they haven't reached the normal size for the variety.

Tomatoes which don't ripen will slowly shrivel, but will last quite a long time if they were in good condition to start with and don't get a fungal infection - green tomatoes can actually be 'sun-dried' in a very slow oven just like ripe ones and used in a variety of recipes.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
storing green tomatoes

Started by mollyblob on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 11:24
by Pompey Spud
xx
Storing/ripening green chilli's

Started by amc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 19:06
by breathecosse
xx
Help - tomatoes still green

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 11:58
by benA*grower
xx
green to red tomatoes !

Started by jay001 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 19:27
by spuriousmonkey

Page created in 0.607 seconds with 38 queries.