Stopping (pinching out?) Thelma Saunders squash

• 4 Replies

Snoop

Stopping (pinching out?) Thelma Saunders squash
« on: August 03, 2015, 18:40 »
I'm growing Thelma Saunders for the first time and am a bit overwhelmed by their vigour (they're far outstripping the Waltham butternut squash in the race to take over the world).

I know that in theory you're supposed to nip off vines five leaves after a fruit forms, but I never do on my butternut squash. However, the TS vines are a getting quite long and I've noticed that a few have more than one as yet unpollinated fruit on them.

So do I pinch them off once a fruit has formed or just leave them be? If I let them go, how many fruit should I allow to form per vine before snipping off the growing end?

I should add that the plants suffer a bit in the heat but pick up when it cools down in the evening. They're well watered and fed, though recent hail has done quite a bit of damage to the leaves.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Stopping (pinching out?) Thelma Saunders squash
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 18:54 »
I grew them for the first time last year, and just let them run. I had some huge fruits from the first ones set, and some much smaller ones that set later in the season.

One plant escaped un-noticed into the derelict plot next door, and one stalk had four large squashes that we found at the start of the Autumn  :lol: :lol:

This year they are growing on the other side of the plot, and attempting to climb into the thornless blackberry ... I am just letting it do its own thing.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Snoop

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 19:14 »
Thanks sunshineband. I'll just let them go. At the moment they're extending through the French beans I sowed not that long ago. The beans are all up but only maybe 10 cm or so tall. According to the box, they will grow 60 cm tall, so I'm hoping they'll be able to cope. Bit late now if they can't!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 19:23 »
I always leave them to it. Any fruit that they can't support will just drop off the stalk.

The biggest yield I had from one plant was 7 - but your climate may suit them better  :D

Snoop

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 19:51 »
Thanks MoS. I hand-pollinated another three this morning, but it's impossible to tell which vine comes from which plant, as they've got themselves in a right tangle. I don't think I'll get anywhere like as many as you as I didn't start them off till 6 June as a somewhat speculative experiment. At best I hoped for a dozen squash all told from the total of four plants that have survived digging toads (one butternut and three TS). I'll keep feeding and watering but otherwise leave them to it.

xx
Thelma Saunder Squash

Started by kevinp on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2011, 16:17
by compostqueen
xx
Pinching Out/Stopping Tomato Plants

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 20, 2023, 18:55
by goose
xx
Should I be stopping my squash plants?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 22:26
by shokkyy
xx
pinching out toms - which stems need pinching?

Started by Deano27 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 13:26
by DD.

Page created in 0.489 seconds with 38 queries.