Lack of apples

• 9 Replies

andimac

Lack of apples
« on: July 26, 2015, 10:42 »
I have two old full-sized apple trees in my garden.
One is some sort of Bramley-type cooker and the other (earlier to ripen) is an eater. Both are usually heavy croppers, leading to jars and jars (and even more jars..) of chutney.

This year however, they have no apples. To be precise, I've had a good close look at them and the cooker has two apples and the other tree has none.
I can't see any signs of unhealthiness but as I say, I can't see any apples either! Is this just down to a cool May when the trees would have been in blossom but the insects were sensibly staying indoors?

I'm not planning on doing anything rash like chopping them down but I would like to know what others think the cause may be.

compostqueen

Re: Lack of apples
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 10:47 »
Dunno, but I checked mine out yesterday. The Howgate Wonder has none, another one has one and my fab little mini tree from Lidl or Aldi (Blenheim Orange I think) is rammed with fruit!!!  It must be down to the variety and weather but being no expert I can't offer up a reason.  It's just one of those things.  I have plums where my neighbours don't, so again that's down to the variety as only me has Czar

Swings and roundabouts. Some fruit will go mad so you will get something  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 11:10 »
You might have had a frost at just the wrong time for the blossom.

Or, did you have a particularly heavy year last year?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 11:40 »
We inherited an old Bramley apple tree which normally has quite a lot of apples on it but this year I di=on't think we have any.  :(
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 11:58 »
You'll probably get a bumper crop next year :)

chrissie B

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 13:08 »
Mine is only a small tree but has masses of apples but this year ive noted better foliage and less apples maybe its having arest i know my peeling arm could do with one .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

grendel

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 15:47 »
our tree is smothered with apples, though we dont know what variety it is, (brogdale have failed to identify it 3 times so far) it has cooker/eaters that dont store and can weigh over a pound (450g) each apple, last year we only had a few, but then our tree is a funny beast and always fruits early, so maybe the blossom had set before the frost.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 18:21 »
Last year we had masses of apples but we had trouble keeping them in storage, this year we have the same but I have taken the advice from an experienced grower and thinned out the crop, anything with blemishes/too many fruit on a truss and any small apples growing under a truss which will not ripen properly, taken out about 2 3rds of the crop but hopefully the ones left will keep well, Dave  ps cheep tree from Aldi about 6 years ago, golden delicious
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

andimac

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 14:11 »
I should have mentioned also that the trees were pruned two years ago as they were getting too tall and encroaching on the phone wires. They had a decent but not huge crop last year and yes, it was pretty cold around the blossom time but I was away for a few weeks so couldn't be sure if there was a definite frost. The plum tree (which I think blossoms earlier) is well laden but not the apples. Oh well, I will see what happens next year. Thanks for the comments- here's hoping to that "bumper crop next year" Aunt Sally!

Anton

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 12:14 »
We had quite a lot of apples on the trees on the allotment but this year they are being attacked by wild budgerigars. These birds took up residence in the park which is about a 20 minute walk away from the allotment and they seriously damage trees, snipping off the branches. I am not sure they actually eat the apples but it does seem to amuse them to cut the branches off.

Anton

xx
redcurrants or lack of?

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2017, 06:02
by spadework
xx
Sweetcorn.....or lack of it

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 09:39
by JayG
xx
lack of slugs?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 19:05
by Grubbypaws
xx
Aubergines or lack of?

Started by Allotment Angel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2007, 09:27
by Allotment Angel

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 28 queries.