Leeks and fleece and tobacco

• 10 Replies

Anton

Leeks and fleece and tobacco
« on: July 20, 2015, 16:51 »
Fellow gardeners,
last year I planted some leeks quite early and they were doing fine and then I  planted some more later on (in August i think). Well the earlier ones were attacked by moths and were very badly affected (some even keeled over).  Very few of them were really edible, even after the winter frost, etc. That latter ones survived much better (obviously smaller than the earlier ones). I have just bought 50 leeks and would like to know the months when the moths start laying. I intended to cover the plants with fleece but does the fleece have to stay over them for ever and ever?

Another question. Years and years ago I used to pop my leeks into a bucket with a concoction of water and tobacco juice for a couple of days, which was supposed to offer them some protection. I cannot for the life of me find out where I got that idea from. Has anybody else heard of this technique? I can't say whether it was effective all those years ago as it is only over the last five or so years that the moth plague has got  steadily worse (last year was terrible).

Anton

juvenal

• Experienced Member
Re: Leeks and fleece and tobacco
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 23:24 »
Decades back I knew an old pro gardener. He saved all the butts from his roll-ups and sprayed a dilute solution on his roses to kill aphids etc. Swore by it...

LotuSeed

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 06:11 »
Here's a link that describes tobacco use as an insecticide
https://books.google.com/books?id=ksAUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA264&lpg=PA264&dq=burning+tobacco+as+insecticide&source=bl&ots=g_V07W8P9x&sig=wU3dsvODG_Cqt6a324oO5OOe-U4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDwQ6AEwCWoVChMI5-TS3bnrxgIVj6WICh0udw_L#v=onepage&q=burning%20tobacco%20as%20insecticide&f=false

I also seem to recall an episode of the Victorian Kitchen Garden where Harry Dodson used it as a fumigant in the greenhouse. I don't remember which episode it was, and I can't find my DVD 😖 but I do remember him emphasizing the need to vacate the GH once it began to smoke, so as not to inhale the toxic fumes.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 07:07 »
That link is not working for me, but I would be extremely cautious about using tobacco as an insecticide.  I remember that episode of Victorian Kitchen Garden as well LotuSeed  :)  Tobacco was widely used in the past and is very effective, but also dangerous to use.

Apart from the fact that it would be an unlicenced product and therefore should not be used, I just would not want to eat vegetables that had been treated with tobacco.

Anton, we have a product over here called Enviromesh that is very good at keeping insects off crops.  It is not cheap, but far more durable than fleece and can be attached to frames to make growing cages.  I know quite a few people on here cover their leek crops because of leek moth.  It might be worth looking into  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 07:26 »
I for one wouldn't want to use tobacco for anything,let alone what I'm proposing to eat. Years ago they used to use lots of chemical as 'natural' as they may be, but like New Shoot says I'd go with the modern equivalent of enviromesh or similar, the bonus is you can use it again & again. I've got some that I'm still using 20 years or so later. :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 07:39 »
I remember Harry Dodson in that programme referring to a victorian sprayer as a 'widow maker'.  He had a wry smile on his face and followed that with a comment about it being an apt name, as all sorts of compounds were used that wouldn't be allowed these days.

Victorian Kitchen Garden was made a fair few years ago now.  These days 'elf & safety would have a melt down at the thought of people soaking fag butts to make concoctions  :lol:

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 08:04 »
Keep your leeks covered by fine mesh. Take it off at the end of September.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 08:50 »
Protection possibly needs to be provided for a bit longer than that, especially if Allium Leaf Miner is also a potential problem (as it is here now  :() - there are no doubt variations from year to year and in different geographical areas, but this is the RHS's description of the breeding cycles of the two pests:

Leek Moth: First generation in May-June, second generation August-October.

Allium Leaf Miner: First generation March-June, second generation September-November.

Full descriptions:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=652
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=643
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Anton

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 10:04 »
Thanks for all your answers.

I used to use spray plants with tobacco as well in the past. As I used to smoke a packet of tobacco a day I am sure I was doing myself more harm smoking the stuff than spraying the vegetables. But I actually stopped spraying because I realised I might inadvertently be harming bees and ladybirds (I stopped smoking because my young daughter developed a cough).

Anton

LotuSeed

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 16:25 »
Oh goodness. I was by no means advocating go the use of it lol! I somehow assumed it was purely for information regarding the history of its use as an insecticide. The link was to a book that I believe was written a fair number of years...decades...scores ago.  As others have said, environmesh is a much more environmentally friendly, and effective, alternative.

Anton

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 21:06 »
I didn't think you were urging me to use the tobacco concotion, Lotuseed, I was just adding a bit of background information. I was actually wondering where I got the idea of soaking leeks in tobacco "tea". I must have read it in one of my organic gardening books but looking through them recently (they are all a bit old) I can't see any reference to it.

Mystery!

Anton

xx
leeks under fleece

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 16, 2016, 18:44
by Yorkie
xx
tobacco ??

Started by twysted1 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 02, 2007, 19:53
by Redwellies
xx
anyone tried growing tobacco?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 22, 2014, 20:46
by 3 allotments
xx
Tobacco tea as a bug killer?

Started by I Love Spuds on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 13, 2014, 13:26
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.499 seconds with 30 queries.