what's done well this year?

• 16 Replies

ptarmigan

what's done well this year?
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:51 »
Picked a huge amount of tasty, large, properly strawberry shaped strawberries this year. First year they have been consistently good. 

And the potato yield is up - and they are really good, Charlottes and Epicure.

simonwatson

Re: what's done well this year?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 11:02 »
My strawberries, blackcurrants and gooseberries have all done well. Lots of apples on the tree. Potatoes are looking good, both early and maincrop.

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 11:41 »
all fruit is good   potatoes very good    cabbage   ect ok  caulis  very poor  vey small an gone brown  all in all a pretty good year so far

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 11:46 »
Blackcurrants, strawberries and gooseberries good.  Also potato haulms are huge, but not sure about the potatoes underneath as they are not ready yet.  They went in late.

Beetroot are growing too big too quickly!

ptarmigan

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 11:55 »
Forgot about the blackcurrants, the bushes are laden down but not ripe yet.

Lots of apples, but I haven't had a 'june drop' yet...

Globe artichokes also particularly good for the first time. 

(caulis - awful).

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 15:27 »
Potatoes good first time I have weighed them 2.5IB for a Charlotte plant dug up for Sunday dinner is this poor or ok ?
blackcurrants,gooseberry and apple tree laden and only 2 apples dropped, real problems with french dwarf beans full packet and only one plant survived, mice and me problems :D
:D I garden therefore I am

bravemurphy

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 16:05 »
I just harvested the elephant garlic and its great.

I did a bit of an experiment and left some scapes on some and the ones with scapes on are considerably smaller than the ones I took the scapes off.

chillimummy

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 19:40 »
First year that have had a lot of strawberry plants but even so, am amazed by the amount of the crop and size and taste.
Last year pak choi didn't germinated even with 2 sowings. This year have ridiculous amount as planted too many and all germinated  :lol:
Potatoes look great but not dug any up yet so not sure about that.
Last year difficulty with germination of beetroot, spinach and even turnip. This year slow but have at least germinated.
Peas were 3rd sowing but growing now although much smaller than other plots because of this.   
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 21:41 »
So far my autumn planted onions are looking good :), hopefully I'll get them lifted this week. Potatoes, Pak choi, parsnips and kale are doing well in the veggie plots. Gooseberries are laden with fruit but still not ripe enough to pick. My greengage also has a lot of fruit which are swelling nicely so fingers crossed!
But this year my beetroot has been a failure :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 21:59 »
No early cabbage this year, 3 sowings and all were slugged early on  :(
Venezia new potatoes are rubbish, I don't think I watered them enough, and it's been very dry this year, but peas are good, and beans look ok  - both nearer the water butt  :lol:

Autumn and winter brassicas are looking good as well.

I've had a great yield on the strawberries and there are loads showing on the Boysenberry and Jostaberry - I hope I get to them before the birds.

Garlic was nothing to write home about, salad bed is doing really well. So it's swings and roundabout as usual ;)

Ledders

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 22:04 »
Fruit, broad beans and potatoes have been great. Parsnips are going great guns and carrots looking good. But runner beans and climbing French beans have been terrible. But 80-90% of veg/fruit is good so successful year so far.

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 22:04 »
The blueberry bushes are absolutely covered in fruit (safely tucked away in their cage). As long as it all ripens it will be a very successful year. The rest is average at best, I thought the raspberry canes were doing well but the dry weather has cause some problems.

gypsy

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 09:07 »
My over winter onions are the best I have ever grown. They are just beginning to bend so it will not be long before they are ready for harvesting.
Catherine

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 10:08 »
My over winter onions are the best I have ever grown. They are just beginning to bend so it will not be long before they are ready for harvesting.

Ours are amazing too  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Mr Dog

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 10:47 »
Strawbs and blackcurrants have been great and gooseberries look to be plentiful too.

First harvest of spuds yesterday (anya, nicola and vivaldi) showed promise of a good yield, with a taste test to come tonight.  Squash and courgettes are just starting to get going.

Both Kelvedon Wonder and Hurst Green Shaft peas have been poor with plants only reaching about 6" high! Unsure why as the mangetout and Carlin peas  in the same bed are storming away; sweet peas on the plot aren't growing particularly well either.

Page created in 0.678 seconds with 32 queries.