Courgette Problem

• 4 Replies

oldgrunge

Courgette Problem
« on: June 10, 2015, 22:16 »
I have two courgettes in the garden, Taxi, and All Green Bush, and they seem to be doing reasonably well. However, I planted another courgette, a round variety, Tondo Di Piacenza, in a large pot in the greenhouse. Over the last week or so, it's leaves have become dry and brownish at the edges, and have slowly curled inward until they are almost closed. I lost a plant in exactly the same circumstances last year, whereas, the year before that, I had a wonderful crop. Could anyone help, please.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Courgette Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 08:51 »
You'd probably know if it was seriously underwatered, but could it have been overwatered and have suffered root damage as a result?

If there are no signs of insect damage on the leaves, or that the stem has been either chewed or is starting to rot off, it could be sun scorch - even if it's being grown in exactly the same position as it was in the successful year, no two years provide exactly the same conditions at the same stages of a plant's development.

I'd move it outside - it's obviously very unhappy where it is so there's not much to lose by doing so and it might recover outdoors.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

oldgrunge

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 21:29 »
Thanks JayG, I've now moved it outside. The centre of the plant looks relatively healthy, and there is no sign of insect damage. It could possibly be overwatering or sun scorch.

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 21:35 »
pots do tend to drain more and don't hold the moisture as well as in the ground, so could possibly still be lack of water and drying out.

what compost mix have you used? have you used the same mix for anything else, and is everything else doing ok?

could have been sun scorched, especially if you got water on the leaves.

oldgrunge

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 20:47 »
The compost is B&Q MP compost, which I've used for everything else. May be sun scorch, have moved it outside, in case.

xx
courgette problem

Started by KT on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 15:02
by Christine
xx
Courgette problem!

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2016, 13:45
by tangojulie
xx
courgette problem

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 21:05
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
Help - Problem With Courgette Plant

Started by micmac on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 20:41
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 37 queries.