Tigerella Tomatoes

• 10 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Tigerella Tomatoes
« on: June 03, 2015, 17:41 »
I sowed them and re-potted them at the same time as my Moneymaker and Shirley tomatoes. They are barely 12" high and look rubbish compared to the latter two varieties which are now over 2ft high. Has anyone else grown these Tigerella? Do they require special attention compared with Moneymaker and Shirley?

Thanks for any advice

snowdrops

Re: Tigerella Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 19:00 »
I've grown them before & not noticed a difference,but then I'm not very scientific about it all. I've just potted some more of my toms up into their final pots this afternoon, what I think are tigerella,packet wasn't marked, we're just the same as the others no better,no worse.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Headgardener22

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 20:40 »
No they don't need any special attention, but, like most unusual varieties, my experience is that they tend to be a bit weaker than your traditional Shirley and Moneymaker, I usually only get a couple or three kilos of tomatoes from Tigerella plants.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 21:21 »
I grow Tigerella every year as I like em as they never split and are good grillers. No problems with them and they're robust. I'd say stick with them  :)

Flowertot

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 22:56 »
I am growing Moneymaker and Tigerella and can't tell the difference between them at this stage (all about 2 feet tall) so my guess is your Tigerellas will catch up.

Debz

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 11:11 »
I also grow Tigerella most years and don't treat them any differently from the other varieties nor do I notice them growing any differently to the others.

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 22:54 »
Tigerella...one of my favourite toms, both for flavour and yield and infinitely better than Moneymaker in my opinion. Mine are at the same stage as Golden Sunrise, Alicante and Black Russian with loads of flowers and some tiny little fruit just showing. Mmmm...can't wait.

lettice

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 08:28 »
I've grown tigrella for many years and have no problems with them.
They grow at the same rate as all my other tom varieties I grow.
I do grow my tigrella outside and they always provide a high yield.
Flowers including my tigrella are just starting to appear on many of my tom varieties.
It often says on the seed packets that they provide an earlier crop, but always seem to crop the same time as all my other varieties.

madcat

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 15:13 »
I'm a bit further north and higher so my outside toms are only just going into their final pots for the summer (frost 10 days or so ago!  ::) ).  The tigerellas are trundling along at the same rate as the gardeners delight and idli cherry toms, plus roma.  They will catch up ....  In theory I grow the cherries for eating like fruit/sweets, the roma for cooking and the tigerella for sarnies and grilling.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 19:05 »
I've grown Moneymaker, Shirley and Alicante for scores of years but Tigerella are new to me. Maybe the slower growth rate in these northern climes is something that affects their early life and, as others have suggested, they'll catch up

Beekissed

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 03:26 »
I grew Tigerella last year for the first time and they grew apace with the other varieties and produced loads of tomatoes...they were my highest producers, though the actual fruit was a smaller fruit than my beefsteaks.  The skins were thick and tough, though they had a great flavor.

Though I liked how healthy and hardy they were and their high yield, I didn't grow them again due to the smaller size of tomato and the thick skins.   

xx
Tigerella tomatoes

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 22:22
by compostqueen
xx
Tomatoes Chico Rosso and Tigerella

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2016, 14:59
by Middlesexbloke
xx
Tigerella

Started by Bernard on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 03, 2015, 10:37
by Bernard
xx
tigerella toms

Started by Chiswickian on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 14:36
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.7 seconds with 28 queries.