Gonna lose the greenhouse!!!

• 11 Replies

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
Gonna lose the greenhouse!!!
« on: May 28, 2015, 14:51 »
I acquired my first ever allotment at the start of this year and it came with a greenhouse...never had a greenhouse! Whoo hoo! It's been wonderful. Plants started off in there and now toms, chillies and strawbs are doing really well. How did I ever manage without one?
Now (sob!) - I'll probably have to move to another allotment...and NO greenhouse. Tragedy! Truth is - I've been spoiled rotten.
Any advice on how I can grow lusciousness without a greenhouse? What can I grow and what will I have to do without?    :(
Carpe Diem

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Gonna lose the greenhouse!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 15:13 »
A cold frame would be your answer :)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 15:35 »
First question is why ?
I cook therefore I grow

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 15:44 »
Why do I have to swap allotments? It's a question of economics - new allotment is walking distance from home - everything is about weighing up pros and cons.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 15:46 »
Yup walking distance is a big +

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 15:59 »
Why do I have to swap allotments? It's a question of economics - new allotment is walking distance from home - everything is about weighing up pros and cons.

And how far away is the current allotment plot?  As you've obviously fallen in love with the greenhouse, I'd say that came under "pro"  ;)

Is it possible to find out if you can erect a greenhouse on your new plot - maybe a polytunnel (the stainless steel metal frame with the chequered green cover type) might be a cheaper alternate (and if you move, is easily disassembled as the metal frame comes apart, and can be put up somewhere else)

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 16:33 »
Why don't you take the green house with you? or look for one on freecycle, flea-bay etc. if you feel you are being cheeky taking it. Cold frames, poly tunnels, blowaways, sheds with growing windows all make a difference in the whole scheme of veg growing  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 21:02 »
As Norfolkgrey said, why don't you dismantle it and take it with you? Replacement windows are only a couple of quid on fleabay if a few get broken. Mine would come with me now - wouldn't be without it.

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 06:44 »
Thanks for all helpful comments. Would love to take GH with me but sadly, new plot is teeny compared to current one - there would be no room. As I say - I was spoiled for a short time. Ah well - onward and upward - if there's no challenge - there's no fun.  :wacko: 

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 07:22 »
I take it no room at home for one either?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

tomlxx

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 15:02 »
Check Gumtree reguarly. People are often giving greenhouses away for dirt cheap, and quite often free! I managed to dismantle a 8x6 one, move it in a renault clio (quite a squeeze) and rebuild it in no time! All for £20 plus the cost of a couple of new panels

3759allen

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 15:11 »
how teeny is the new plot? putting in a greenhouse wouldn't take any growing space away, just make some of it a warmer space.

if anything i would say you may gain space with a greenhouse as you can grow upwards. you can ram a lot of plants in under cover, especially if you grow in the ground rather than in pots and don't mind tip toeing through a narrow walk way and stretching a little over wider beds.

due to the increased heat over a longer period you can often get more crops than you would outside over the year.

xx
I'm gonna call him.........

Started by Bombers on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 06:33
by matron
xx
It ain't gonna frost no more, no more

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post May 13, 2017, 01:34
by Paul Plots
xx
Oh my backs gonna hurt tommorrow!

Started by Foxy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 20:46
by agapanthus
xx
You win some, you lose some...

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 05, 2017, 07:51
by Christine

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 28 queries.