It ain't gonna frost no more, no more

• 32 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

It ain't gonna frost no more, no more
« on: May 03, 2017, 20:32 »
Well not in this growing season. I've run out of space in the greenhouse and planted out my French and Runner Beans. Next to go out are all the planters full of geraniums, petunias and begonias etc that are blocking up the polytunnel and nine hanging baskets. The forecast up until mid May shows no sign of frost and it must be 20 years since we had a late May frost on the Solway plain, so that's it. All systems go!

snowdrops

Re: It ain't gonna frost no more, no more
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 20:39 »
I hope you're right Alan, I was on holiday last week in Cumbria & we had snow one evening
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 20:41 »
I think we all have to use common sense in regard to the area we grow in.
in my old home we had a hard frost as late as the second week in june.
I think for me the end of this month is hopefully the last. there only so much covering up I can do.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 20:52 »
Long range weather forecasts are showing another cold spell from about the 8th May.
It's a bit too far out yet to be reliable, but keep it in mind if you are thinking of planting tender plants - you may still need to use the fleece  ::)

gobs

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 21:03 »
Well, the fact that our gh-s are bursting, does not mean, it's not gonna frost.

A very (as in unusually) cold week ahead forecast here and it was very cold today. Many things need to go out really, should have, more accurately, but I am hesitating, it's so cold.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 21:10 »
Been 16C today with more of the same through to Monday and then dropping down to 13C but with overnight minima at 6 or 7C. I suppose we miss the worst of the easterlies due to location just a few miles from coast. Plus we tend to get much more Atlantic weather here. Farmers are complaining about lack of rain though

gobs

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 21:26 »
That's a different picture, here 9-13 day and 1-5 night for the next week.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 00:35 »
Down in the sunny south nothing frost tender is going out to stay there just yet.

During the day - out goes the tender stuff in pots and trays.... stays out over night if forecast is good (5 or 6+).

First sign of a temperature lower than that and they'll be back in the conservatory or greenhouse over night. Potatoes earthed up. I'm in no rush - day time wind is chilly and tender plants can easily be scorched.

But.... I wish the early starters the best of luck.... sometimes it pays off.

(Newspaper and fleece at the ready I hope)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 00:36 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 08:23 »
Looks like it could be frosty overnight. Time for the fleece to go on - again!!

Christine

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 08:34 »
If someone could switch off the strong north to northeasterly and even plain easterly winds here it might just be growing weather. Might. We have drying winds and no rain.

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 14:23 »
Beware the Ice Saints days in the middle of May.

St Pancras, St Servantius, St Boneface and St Sophia, known as Cold Sophie. Saints days on 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th May.

It is surprising how often we get some warm days with clear skies at night about then

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 18:38 »
I agree,  we are down in the South East (SW London) but because the allotment site is so exposed we regularly get a frost up until the middle of May here, even though my son in a garden the other side of the fence doesn't!!

gobs

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 20:13 »
The daily funny.

Now, as they were not promising freezing, just 1-5, I took off the cloche from the plants in the unheated gh.

The cucumber looks like half dead, so are very withered the peas and sweetpeas, the basil and pepper are not happy but holding on, and then the dill plants, as if nothing happened and a tomato is ripening...

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 02:30 »
The daily funny.

Now, as they were not promising freezing, just 1-5, I took off the cloche from the plants in the unheated gh.

The cucumber looks like half dead, so are very withered the peas and sweetpeas, the basil and pepper are not happy but holding on, and then the dill plants, as if nothing happened and a tomato is ripening...

Cucumbers in particular cannot cope with sudden over-night drops in temperature.... a good sized healthy looking plant can flop in hours :(

I hope your other plants recover.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 12:24 »
I was in a garden centre yesterday, and next to their offerings of tomato, cucumber, and courgette plants was large notice giving detailed instructions on how to look after them (well done them, even if there is probably a bit of self-interest in there too.)

The gist of it is that it's still too early to be putting such tender crops out in an unheated greenhouse - that should wait until the last 2 weeks of May. None of them should be planted outdoors before early June.

Presumably their advice was tailored to Sheffield, which for the most part isn't a particularly frost-prone place, and is based on the average climate we might expect at this time of year.

I'm now trying to forget what I read, because my tomato plants really need transplanting into my unheated GH now despite some lower than ideal overnight temperatures forecast for the next week.

My squashes, cucumbers and courgettes were only sown indoors a week ago, sweet corn and runner beans will be sown over the weekend - as ever it's a delicate balancing act getting the timing right, a close eye on the weather forecasts and crossed fingers helps too.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
I'm gonna call him.........

Started by Bombers on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 06:33
by matron
xx
Gonna lose the greenhouse!!!

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 29, 2015, 15:11
by 3759allen
xx
Oh my backs gonna hurt tommorrow!

Started by Foxy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 20:46
by agapanthus
xx
Hi I'm gonna get some blueberry bushes and gooseberry bushes

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 22:07
by Gardening Mark

Page created in 0.53 seconds with 38 queries.