Tomato Help - Indoor/outdoor!

• 15 Replies

Willow_Warren

Tomato Help - Indoor/outdoor!
« on: May 28, 2015, 11:15 »
I have a number of tomatoes plants, they are currently all in the greenhouse,  however once they are all in their final pots there will not be room for them all in the greenhouse (it is only 6 x 6), therefor I thought I would come here for some advise as to whether any of my tomatoes are particularly suited to either inside or outside, I have grown the following (can't remember off hand how many of each I have, between 1 and 3 of each type, 13 in total):

Sungold
Moneymaker
Tumbling Tom
Tigarella
Rosada
Harbinger
San Marzano
Sweet N' Neat

Many thanks, I need to start potting up and hardening off the ones destined to be outsiders ;)

Hannah :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:35 by Willow_Warren »

maddave

• Experienced Member
Re: Tomato Help - Indoor/outdoor!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:52 »
I can't say with any authority, but I have always grown sungold outside - in fact mine have been out since the beginning of May with no ill effects. I also have sweet and neet next to the sungold too and they have been out since the start of May as well. They are a bit small at the minute, but flowering away and a few toms already coming through!

I've also grown Tigerella on the patio in the past.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:53 by maddave »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 12:02 »
As long as you don't get any more frost, San Marzano are good outside, specially if you can plant them in the soil.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:17 »
You won't find many varieties which you are advised not to grow outside - how well they do will depend on the weather, and also whether they succumb to blight.

You could argue that it makes sense to grow bush varieties outside if you've only got a small greenhouse, and also that those you have perhaps identified as your favourites and which therefore 'must work', go in the GH where they are less likely to succumb to blight.

Which way you decide to hedge your bets will be a personal choice which some might disagree with (some would probably advise putting Moneymaker straight on the compost heap!  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

lettice

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 12:22 »
I've grown tigrella, tumbling tom and moneymaker fine outside.
Tumbling toms is best grown outside in a hanging basket I think anyway.
I grow san marzano outside but make sure you put enough stem in the soil and that they are securely staked and tied up as they are heavy croppers and the plants spread at least 18 inches. I normally only allow two to three trusses outside.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 12:34 »
I'm not sure what to do with my Tumbling Tom, I've only the one and not a hanging basket to put it into, will have a think.  It has always done well outside before.

I have always struggled getting any kind of a crop from the San Marzano, I always seem to get blossom end rot with them, but I really like the ones do get as they always seem to have a lot of flesh and few seeds which is easier for soup making!  I also get quite a few split tomatoes with Sungold (is this due to overwatering?  i.e. rain!)

I have peppers and chilli plants that will also be battling for space in the greenhouse/growhouse.

If I have more than one plant of any variety maybe I will "hedge by bets" and put one inside and one outside...

Hannah :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:35 by Willow_Warren »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 12:48 »
I also get quite a few split tomatoes with Sungold (is this due to overwatering?  i.e. rain!)

You've done better than I have then - almost all of mine in the GH have split 3 years on the trot, although the fruits on a 'spare' plant grown in open ground last year had a good proportion which didn't, even though (or perhaps because :unsure:) I paid far less attention to watering them than the GH ones. Despite the great flavour I'm giving them a miss this year.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 14:58 »
Sungold - inside - gets to another truss, usually six
Moneymaker - outside, does well there in good light
Tumbling Tom - outside, needs feeding and a lot of light
Tigarella - inside, gets to another truss, usually six
Rosada - don't know...
Harbinger - inside, gets to another truss, usually six
San Marzanod - don't know...
Sweet N' Neat - don't know...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 15:11 »
I agree, Tumbling tom is good in a tub, the branches hang down a bit - so if it's a shallower container I'd site it on a bench or table to stop the fruit being soiled.

I've got my Rosada F1 growing in the greenhouse.

T&M say
Sweet N Neat: This compact variety is ideal for patio containers due to its compact habit and can even be grown on a sunny windowsill. Height and spread: 30cm (12").
So another one for a pot or tub  ;)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 15:49 »

San Marzanod - don't know...

[/quote]
I have it listed as a bush ,but going to try and force it to grow as a cordon .
I cook therefore I grow

lettice

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 16:01 »
I have always struggled getting any kind of a crop from the San Marzano, I always seem to get blossom end rot with them

San marzano is a heavy cropper.
Always thought blossom end rot was due to a poor watering regime.
San Marzano are thirsty plants.
I tend to water tomatoes at the root level slowly in the morning.
Might be worth for these adding some mulch at root level to keep the moisture around the roots.
Don't over water though! And do not water the tomatoes or leaves.

I leave a good 6 inch gap between the soil and top of the pot, to help keep in the moisture. Its just what I've always been told for these larger toms and it works for me.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 16:03 by lettice »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 11:51 »
I have always struggled getting any kind of a crop from the San Marzano, I always seem to get blossom end rot with them

That's why I suggested putting them in the ground - if you possible can. They rarely go short of water if planted in the soil  ;)

wrinkly1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 16:03 »
i notice all you growers are in the south . try having a go in the north east outside. nothing grows up here at the moment. its like winter.

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 16:26 »
Wrinkly ah I see you are in the Sub-tropics try growing in Central Scotland then you will apreciate your soft Southern Weather!
Do you really need al that lettuce/

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 17:57 »
Wrinkly ah I see you are in the Sub-tropics try growing in Central Scotland then you will apreciate your soft Southern Weather!

I only recently learned that the secret of growing tomatoes was not a warmth problem, but a light situation, Broken!

So by rights, with your lighter days, you should be able to grow better toms in your cooler location, but under glass maybe! Some commercial growers like to have their greenhouses cooler than you'd think...

That's what I've been told anyway! But after the weather we've been having down here, that's not a problem for us at the moment!

xx
indoor or outdoor

Started by gorymorph on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 22:52
by daveypark
xx
Outdoor vs. indoor toms

Started by FatMog on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 05:14
by Madame Cholet
xx
Indoor / outdoor groups

Started by Highfield on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 16:11
by Highfield
xx
Outdoor Tomato help

Started by jaws8 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 12:03
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 38 queries.