Organic Matter

• 12 Replies

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
Organic Matter
« on: May 25, 2015, 17:18 »
I've had my plot for nearly 6 years and I feel that it's getting low in organic matter. Currently I add it to the plot in the following ways:

-Composting everything except for couch-I rarely find that my compost bin is overflowing.
-Collect manure and transport in the boot of my car-once or twice a year. I haven't found anyone who will deliver.
-Take my spent multipurpose compost from growbags etc down to the plot.
-Growing comfrey-adding to compost bin to accelerate composting and adding directly onto the plot as well as liquid feed.

In the past I've grown the following green manures: Italian rye, Hungarian rye (never again!), fodder radish, and crimson clover but have not found they have produced vast quantities and add a lot of work for the benefit they offer as well as taking up valuable space.

Other than purchasing soil improver etc or persuading other half to do more manure trips do people have any ideas? Is there a leafy shrub or biennials I could grow that would produce loads of foliage that composts down quickly? I don't want anything that sets seed easily.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Organic Matter
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 17:24 »
I like to sow Phacelia green manure, in Autumn, the leaves die back in winter cold but leaves a lot of roots behind in the soil. No digging in required.
http://www.greenmanure.co.uk/products/phacelia-green-manure-seeds?variant=1182263180

mrsbean

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 20:35 »
yes i used that last year,as mum said easy to dig in. plot neighbours sow red clover grows quite tall may have to chop down if left too long. looks pretty enough to put in a vas

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 20:47 »
Is there anyone on your allotment site that has a trailer.  You could share the work and the manure if you collect it in bulk.  I have some riding stables near me that are more than pleased to get rid of horse manure; I fill up 20+ bags 2 or 3 times a year and then compost it down over 3 years although I only leave it that long as I have been doing it for years so I have a ready supply each year. 

You could also try approaching a local horse riding stable to see if they would deliver it as they would have to pay to get rid of it.  Offer to pay for the petrol as I don't believe they can sell it without the proper EC rules being followed.  Clearly you would have to accept it as it is although you could try it on a tomato plant to see if it kills it!

ptarmigan

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 21:54 »
I get a load of spent mushroom compost delivered once a year. You could see if anyone in your area will do that.

I also grow a lot of borage for the bees and that composts down well. I collect grass clippings from In laws too.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 09:25 »
Collecting grass clippings and combining it with shredded paper gives decent compost , especially if you water it when you first put it in the bin.

We get deliveries of Autumn leaves, although they are easy enough to collect from local parks etc and these rot down nicely, if somewhat slowly. I dig in one year old leaf mould to beds in the Autumn. Very popular with the worms  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 09:36 »
free Coffee Grounds from your local coffee shop they are very useful as a fertiliser for adding to your compost and slugs and snails don't like going over them 

uA5K5r_VXLs

ptarmigan

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 10:08 »
Another vote for phacelia - again the bees love it, if it self seeds it's really easy to pull out.  Just strim or chop it down and then leave it as mulch over the winter. 

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 10:27 »
I echo mushroom compost as it's cheap (£1 per big bag here) and if you spread it on as a mulch it helps to stop weeds germinating, plus mixing shredded paper with lawn clippings to put in a compost bin.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 17:32 »
I echo mushroom compost as it's cheap (£1 per big bag here) and if you spread it on as a mulch it helps to stop weeds germinating, plus mixing shredded paper with lawn clippings to put in a compost bin.
Where do you get it from? I have never seen it that cheap...

ptarmigan

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 22:26 »
£1.25 a bag here. Mushroom farm delivers it if you order enough. On an island so probably not overseas...

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 11:50 »
I get it from a local mushroom-growing farm and I get a discount for bulk orders. Try Giggling it to see if you can get it locally.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 16:08 »
I have... And it seems most farms are up north where you have the space! Nothing vaguely nearby sadly :(

xx
Organic Matter

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2007, 19:34
by muntjac
xx
Adding organic matter to carrot soil?

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 17:35
by mumofstig
xx
Does size matter ?

Started by Aitch on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 15:49
by Aitch
xx
Does size matter?

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 23:48
by Elaine G

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 30 queries.