The carrier bag tuber

• 16 Replies

davetoddy

The carrier bag tuber
« on: May 05, 2015, 20:12 »
The plot we got last autumn is full of rubbish but this takes the biscuit
Had a little dig tonight removing the usual bricks, concrete , blanket and carpet and came across a plastic handle which had another handle both still attached to a sturdy carrier bag after 10 minutes of digging and a 2 1/2 foot deep hole I have a carrier bag full of broken bathroom tiles , what on earth posses someone to do that or am I missing something , do they grow into bathrooms a close relation of the mushroom

LotuSeed

Re: The carrier bag tuber
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 20:42 »
Good grief! That's gotta be terribly frustrating.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Beetie

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 21:31 »
I found all sorts on my allotment. The worst has been a 3/4 foot deep pit of broken glass and a catheter!

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 21:36 »
Same on mine:-
The remains of an old wooden shed, plus contents including loads of empty paint tins
Enough old window frames to equip a four bedroomed house
All the glass (broken and dangerous) to fit the above
three bedroom carpets and one living room carpet
all the old kitchen lino
numerous plastic bin liners full of old clothes and household rubbish
loads of broken concrete garden ornaments
enough old bricks to build a small outhouse
about a ton of rubble
various broken garden tools,
and last, but not least, two large sheets of corrugated iron

talk about caring for the soil!

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 21:41 »
It beggars belief,having read this it prompted hubby & I to discuss fly tipping & why people would put a mattress into their car & drive near the tip but then dump it elsewhere  :mad:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

kellycontina

• mineandmumsplot99
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 22:20 »
I too cold recorder a whole house from the plot took this year, I could rebottle for evian and re tile a kitchen but I think the biggest pain in the backside has been the hundreds of plastic bags filled with twitch, bindweed and other weed roots which actually haven't died just plagued the plot???  What possesses people to do this???
Plant and it will grow....... (hopefully) 🍄🌾🌱🌰🌴🍁🍂🌹🍀🎃🌽🍅🍆🍍🍐🍌🍈🍑🍓🍎🍊🍋🍒🍇🍉

LotuSeed

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 01:37 »
Generally speaking, I don't think most gardeners/nature lovers , will ever be able to fully understand why people do it, or rather how they could do it. There are loads of people who couldn't care less about the environment and  what they put in the ground. We don't really have that luxury because we understand that to get good things out, you gotta put good things in. I imagine there are a fair amount who find it far easier to dump stuff wherever instead of paying to dispose of it properly.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 08:18 »
It beggars belief,having read this it prompted hubby & I to discuss fly tipping & why people would put a mattress into their car & drive near the tip but then dump it elsewhere  :mad:

Our tip charges for stuff like this, dad's mate took along a terracotta pot full of sand used as an outdoor ash tray, all cigarettes removed but they wanted £3.50 just to empty the sand. He wanted the pot still.

Thats why.  Personally I sweep the dropping from the kids sandpit on to the beds and dig in.

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 09:01 »
I removed an old ironing board from mine last week.  :wacko:

I think someone must have sown curled-leaf parsley by mistake and had tried to fix the problem.

AnneB

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 09:46 »
Lots of old blue foam backed carpet.  Broken greenhouse glass (a whole greenhouse we think).   Glass milk bottles from every vintage and shape.   Cough mixture bottle, complete with contents.  Rusty bicycle wheel.   Old bricks and clay pots, all smashed.  Various items of cutlery.  The old iron boiler for the smashed greenhouse; I turned that into a feature plant pot for nasturtiums, but somebody (with a key to the allotment gate) stole it, presumably for scrap.   Enough nails for a hardware shop, except they were rusty.   

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 09:53 »
I am digging the back garden of my house only to find the previous owner had buried the old kitchen roof there.

Chipboard, battens,fascia the whole works ! :mad:

Mr Dog

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 10:25 »
As well as bricks, glass, plastic bags, tiles, carpet, string, rope, chain, screws, nails, old tool heads, wood and animal (dog?) skulls my strangest finds were several hoards of chocolate wrappers! I guess the previous holder wasn't allowed to eat it at home and indulged whilst at the plot!

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 11:24 »
The plot we got last autumn is full of rubbish but this takes the biscuit
Had a little dig tonight removing the usual bricks, concrete , blanket and carpet and came across a plastic handle which had another handle both still attached to a sturdy carrier bag after 10 minutes of digging and a 2 1/2 foot deep hole I have a carrier bag full of broken bathroom tiles , what on earth posses someone to do that or am I missing something , do they grow into bathrooms a close relation of the mushroom
I'll never understand those folks either, guess they are the same ones who chuck stuff out of car windows.  And a drive along any main road or motorway is depressing if you look in the verges and see the plastic bags adorning the trees.  😟

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 20:51 »

Our allotments were mainly taken by miners years ago. A couple of plots had holes excavated and bricked up into tanks and a pump installed. Our plot has one, the other plot, the holder dug it out, knocked the walls out and filled it in. The previous holder to our plot had kids and considered it dangerous, but rather than build a simple timber frame and put a lid on it decided that filling it was a better plan. When we got the plot, the top of this was a mixture of bricks/glass/wire - everything that I would have considered dangerous to kids injuring themselves. However all this was hiding the tank. One day I decided that I would clear up the area and discovered the "hole". I had heard that one plot had a "well" so when I discovered a hole opening up, I put 2 and 2 together, I continued excavating - a bit hard as I didn't know how deep the "well" was so I was removing the stuff one handed. Eventually I hit the bottom and realised it wasn't a well but a tank. It's about 2m deep, 2m x 3m wide. The bloke had totally fillled it with...

A ton of soil
A ton of glass (which I had to sort out from the soil and took to glass recycling)
Metal shelves
Stones
Bricks/half bricks - all the rubbish ones I took to the tip
and.....

What seemed to be the inside of an Aga oven which had a corner missing. This weighed about 60-75kg and I had to lift this out from a depth of 1.5m.

The plot is a good 400m from parking, so all this stuff would have been barrowed to the plot. So why on earth didn't the guy just build a wood frame and top the tank. It took me 30mins to do that!

I've found the usual stuff: skulls, kids toys, glass, old tools, window frames, tarpaulin (which is a pain in the posterior when trying to dig it out), nails, various other ironmongery but also quantity of asbestos.

It seems that the tip is something in a far off land that doesn't allow people to take anything to it - one plot holder had a couple of buckets of stones so I told him to take it to the tip - his answer: "You can do that?", the tip by the way is 1 mile down the road! He'd rather dig a hole and bury them (for the next plot holder to find). It seems as though this ignorance of recycling centres (as they are now called) is not isolated. As a horse rider I often come across fly tipping of really ridiculous stuff that hasn't been dumped by an unscrupulous house clearer, but by normal people that have gone out of the way to not take it to a recycling centre.
Everything spotty....

Sparkyrog

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 21:06 »
It's not quite that straight forward these day's unfortunately! A) sites are no longer open 7 day's a week . B) they charge to take some waste. C) turn up with asbestos and there would be an HSE panic attack !

While in some instances it is easy to blame it all on fly tipper's . Is it all there fault?

(and  I am a signed up member to the hang em high brigade) :)
I cook therefore I grow

xx
Oca tuber size

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2016, 09:06
by sunshineband
xx
Potato Tuber advice

Started by louise81 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 13:28
by louise81
xx
Poeny Trees 4 Years Old Tuber

Started by Valuehunter on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post February 23, 2008, 14:59
by Valuehunter

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 36 queries.