Potato Tuber advice

• 4 Replies

louise81

Potato Tuber advice
« on: July 12, 2011, 11:29 »
Hi everyone I'm a newbie here and need a bit of help as I'm also a newbie to growing vegetables. I bought a set of potato growing set which consists of 5 bags and 5 of each Vivaldi, Rocket and Charlotte tubers. They came packaged in nets and in a Jiffy bag, I put them in the outside storage cupboard and have never got round to planting them  ::) I have just got them out and they have each sprouted quite long chits (i think thats the right term) Some are 6-7" others are up to 12" some are 2-3" so basically my questions are 1) Are these still able to be planted and provide a crop? 2) Can I plant them with the chits that long or can they be cut down?.......Sorry for my complete lack of knowledge I am a total beginner at this  :blush:

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: Potato Tuber advice
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 12:30 »
It may be worth a go with the earlier varieties like Charlotte but your main problem will be growing time. Planting now will mean cropping in October. If we have a very mild autumn or you can protect them in a greenhouse from September and if the late blight doesn't get them you could get a crop. I'd use the ones with shorter chits.

If you have the space and the time, why not have a go?  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

louise81

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:41 »
thanks for your reply, the Charlottes are the ones with the longest chits, they are approx 1cm think too and are starting to show green on the ends, if I were to have a go at just planting them all would I cover them with compost right up to the top of the chit?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 12:52 »
yes, put them near the bottom and gradually feed in the compost trying not to damage the chits. put some feed in as you fill as well. I'd grow them all , as they're firsts and 2nds :)

(Normally we say to knock the chits off if they're too long, but this late in the season the seed has probably used up most of it's energy making the long chits, so I'd leave them be)

Good luck!

louise81

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 13:28 »
thankyou, ive planted all the healthiest looking ones so will just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best!

xx
Oca tuber size

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2016, 09:06
by sunshineband
xx
The carrier bag tuber

Started by davetoddy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 07, 2015, 10:34
by sunshineband
xx
Poeny Trees 4 Years Old Tuber

Started by Valuehunter on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post February 23, 2008, 14:59
by Valuehunter
xx
Potato advice

Started by Tigerhair on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 21:35
by Ice

Page created in 0.805 seconds with 38 queries.